Thursday, May 21, 2009

My take on things + random facts..

*I got my first job when I was 15 & I had to earn whatever "spending money" I had the old fashion way-by WORKING! I bought the clothes that were on my back! These days that is literally unheard of,  and that is one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to parenting.  I think it's very sad that we are raising an army of spoiled brat, self-entitlement loving, lazy, good-for-nothing, whiners who have no work ethic whatsoever!

*I went to college for one whole year. I lived in the dorms, LOVED every minute of it & worked at the campus health clinic. I would have loved to stay in college, but it was simply too expensive for me & I knew it was time to get married (to my boyfriend of 4 years!).  

*I also worked as a CNA at a hospital. Hospitals are GREAT places to work if you want good stories to tell. 

*At 19, I was offered a job as a full-time nanny to a wealthy stay-at-home mother. I could say a lot about that job...but I won't! It was however, a "rich" (pun intended) learning experience.  I learned through that job that I very much wanted to be a mother (which I really already knew...but this job really made me long for my own children). 

*I also worked as an optometry technician for a few years. I really liked that job! This was when I was first married and pregnant with my first child. From this job I learned contentment. I had great co-workers, most of which were women. Almost all the women I worked with were mothers & when I heard them talk day in and day out about how much they missed their kids, I knew being a "stay-at-home-mom" was the only thing I wanted to do.  One thing that struck me about that job was that most of the women I worked with could stay at home, but they worked because they wanted a bigger house, a better car, new appliances, house remodeling, hot tubs and pools, concert tickets, and vacations. It was striking to me the sacrifices they were making for...stuff.  I knew early on that by making the choice to stay home I was going to have to give up on having all that "stuff", but that was the kind of sacrifice I could make (since I didn't even have it to begin with) It was really tough to leave that job, but after my baby was born I had no desire to go back to work full time

*I got married at 20, and I don't think that was too young to get married. I used to say I thought 20 was too young, but the older I get I don't see it that way anymore. In fact, I think the younger you are when you get married, the better off you may be. We live in such a "me" centered society that we are teaching our young people to value their independence to the point of self-destruction. When everything is all about YOU it's kinda hard to be part of a loving, giving, sacrificial covenant bond with someone.  It just doesn't work!  I now believe the older you are when you get married the harder it is for you to adjust & walk away from that kind of selfish thinking &  lifestyle.

Now...some other random facts about me:

-My children probably watch too much TV & I'm making it my summer goal to turn off the TV during the day & only watch it for our "Movie Night" on Friday nights.

-Contrary to my "good girl" status I  swear sometimes  & I do in fact like beer. Sorry if that tarnishes my halo for those of you that thought more of me. I have to keep real, ya know? :-)

-Oh, and If I'm being totally honest, I might as well admit to enjoying "less than wholesome" music at times. In fact, without a little Marvelous 3 cranked at the highest volume possible in the car while I'm running errands alone, I might not keep my sanity. There is only so much Veggie Tales "Jonah" lyrics one mom can handle.

-I use sarcasm with my children way too often.

-I have a horrible, un-controllable weakness for sweets! It's the main reason I  WILL NOT do any sort of diet. 

-I really hate the word "diet" too! Life is short, people! Why waste it counting grapes, weighing turkey breasts, eating rice cakes, and chugging soy protein isolate shakes? Put down your supplement bottles and disgusting cellulite burning shakes & learn to enjoy a real meal why don't you. Eat your fruits and veggies, lean meats & whole grains...and your CHOCOLATE for craps sake! Adkins Smadkins...don't torture yourself like that.

-I've tried giving up diet soda at least 4 times in my life & it just never "sticks".  I believe I know how it feels to be addicted to smoking...or crack! Seriously, this is my Achilles heel (even more so than the sweets!). 

-I detest "know it alls".  You can't be my friend if your a smarty pants like that! ;-)

-I really, really want to go to New York some day...just for hoots!

-I have no desire to be a vegan, but I have cut red meat out of my families diet, and I'm trying to eat a lot more fish.

-I think squirrels are the cutest.

-I will most likely have plastic surgery some day & I don't really care what other people think about that.

-I've always wanted to get a tattoo. Unfortunately, I married a husband that HATES tattoos on women. Once, I told Jonathan that if he died I would get his name tattooed on my butt...he didn't think that was funny!

-I don't believe in global warming.

-I hope my kids don't want to play soccer. Baseball, football,  and basketball are way, WAY more interesting to me. 

-I know I have no fashion sense, but I try really, really hard!

-I just ate 1 lb of baby carrots & homemade hummus!

*Come on....now it's your turn to post your "random bits" on your blog (or my comments if you don't have a blog)!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

just wanted to let you know that I.love.you. and I'm sad we never see each other!...this list made me smile:)

Amber said...

Thanks, Anonymous (which I'm pretty sure is Michaela) ;-).

I'm pretty sad that we don't see anyone from the "old gang" anymore. It's not fair that life gets in the way & too much time passes before we see each other again. I'll tell ya what, I'll work on a get together this summer. My kids have one last week of school & we are refinishing our hardwood floors after that...THEN maybe we can have a cookout at our house. At least our backyard can hold a dozen kids :-).

Sometimes I don't get dressed for the day until 5:00...pm, and on the weekend I let my kids eat cookies for breakfast. I drank coffee (and sometimes diet coke) when I was pregnant. I use under eye concealer to cover up my zits & I bake when I'm stressed. If you can deal with all that....then welcome to our family blog!