Thursday, October 04, 2007

What if...

...my "life in Christ" isn't about what I do for Him, but rather what HE does through me?

I've been a Christian for... well... my whole life, and I can't seem to really take hold of some of the most basic concepts that Jesus taught. Blows my mind how that happens...but it still does. I think I spend too much time thinking about what I should be doing, and not enough time just doing it! I get caught in the "what", "why", and "how", and forget that the more important thing to consider is "who"...who am I supposed to be focused on? The answer certainly isn't me!

When Jesus meet the woman at the well he didn't want to know what she was doing (he already knew that), he wanted to meet with her. He was interested in H-E-R! That's a tough one for me. I always feel like I have to earn the respect and approval of Jesus before we talk (like that's even possible). Why would the creator of the universe want to hear from me? Who am I that He should do anything "important" through me?

If my time on this earth is about what Christ can do through me...then what am I supposed to be looking for/waiting for? Am I waiting to be recognized by more "godly" people for my special talent or ability to be revealed? Do I need a "title" to be able to change the world around me? To me....I think that answer comes when I simply "abide in Christ". It seems like "things" just happen when I am in communion with Christ. But, "communion" with Christ is a choice...not a command. I think we have to willingly choose to sit at the feet of Jesus and listen. He is not going to beat us over the head until we sit down to hear him!

Here is a little story:
My father, whom I love with all my heart, has taught me the importance of "communion" with Christ. I've seen him live out his convictions, even when others scoff at him. Yet, he has always done what he knew Christ was leading him to do. There are plenty of people out there that would rather do "what everyone else does"...but not my dad! For one reason or another, the Lord has lead him down "the road less traveled", but there I see what true communion with Christ looks like.

To some it may appear that my dad has "lost his way", but if you sit and talk to him for 10 minutes you may think differently! He is in such close communion with Christ, that it doesn't matter what things "appear" to be. He has found that place that I am searching for in my journey of faith...contentment & rest :-). I can see it on his face! He is doing what he was meant for...letting Christ work through him. It's not about what HE is doing. It's not about what HE wants. It's about surrendering his life to Christ, and letting Christ take the wheel.

My dad will most likely never be called "PASTOR Allen" (although, he has enough seminary degrees to almost be called "Dr. Allen" -he he!). Nor will he ever parade around a multi-million dollar "mega-church" in a three piece suit passing out $50 bills to his "audience" (er...I mean "congregation"). Nope...that's not his calling (is that really a "calling"). BUT, you will hear him called "friend" by many of the prison inmates that he holds a Bible study with every month. You will hear him called "cherished colleague" by the people he works with (because my dad has made the choice to stay in the "world" by working outside the 4 walls of the church).

The choices I've seen my dad make have never been easy ones. However, the one common denominator in all of his final decisions was that he knew he was trusting in the Lord, not men! Many of his choices have not been the "easy" route, or widely accepted by everyone around him. More often than not he has not been "recognized" for his efforts (hence, not holding the "pastor" title). But, I have to say, that's how I've always known that what my father was doing was "of God". Be wary of "mans" praise when you are looking for God's approval ;-)!

I'm not knocking on those who do work within the church...that's not my point here. I guess what I'm beginning to see is that this life is not about what things seem. It's not about what things look like. It's not about the title we hold. It's about our conviction, and communion. Without that close communion with Christ, how will we ever know how Christ wants to work through us?

What if...God called us to be a "nobody"...for his glory?

Hmmmm....these have been "deep thoughts" by Amber ;-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good deep thoughts, Amber! I agree. Tom and I have been talking a lot about this very subject lately and Tom said it all boils down to "more of HIM and less of me". That is what it is all about.

I too really look up to your parents! They are such a godly example to me of allowing God to use them and to see them through life holding onto Him.

Faith said...

I totally agree. The older I get, the more I wonder if perhaps Neil and I could do more for Christ outside of "church ministry". Yikes, did I just say that out loud? ;-)

Anonymous said...

I heard that loud and clear, Faith. :)

How are you guys doing???

Amber said...

Don't get me wrong girls...I think "Church" and "Church Ministry" probably have their place. I'm just sort of thinking out loud here....

I just see a lot of people moving between churches (myself included) looking for their right "fit", and that makes me wonder if we are supposed to "fit" in somewhere. (*Is God supposed to be "customized" like a Burger King whopper?) Or...has God just called us (me?) to live right here? Am I really letting God use me..or am I telling God how I want to be used?

I have to wonder if some churches really "grow" if all they are doing is taking on more disgruntled
church goers from the other side of town...is that really "growth". To me that's "expansion"! To me...when a Church "grows" it is because new believers are joining.(I won't even get into my personal feelings on what "joining" a Church can lead to)

Which brings me to my next question:
"Is 'ministry' within the church only for the saved"? When we go "into the ministry" are we really just putting ourself on an Island of believers?

Just thinking over here....

I certainly don't have any answers!

Anonymous said...

Well Said Honey! I'm happy to be that proverbial "nobody" you talked about at the end there, because I'm very, very real with the people I work with. I'm a Christian, but I want people to see that I'm also *quite* imperfect!

Can I get an amen?! (Except from you Karen...) He-he.

Sometimes I don't get dressed for the day until 5:00...pm, and on the weekend I let my kids eat cookies for breakfast. I drank coffee (and sometimes diet coke) when I was pregnant. I use under eye concealer to cover up my zits & I bake when I'm stressed. If you can deal with all that....then welcome to our family blog!