Monday, October 22, 2007

Half-Marathon Results!

I forgot to mention it last week because I was so busy, but this past weekend was the KC Marathon. No, I didn't run the full this time (maybe next year), but I did do the half-marathon. It was a BEAUTIFUL day, just perfect for running! I really enjoyed this half-marathon last year, but it was even better this year because I got to run it with my big sis (Tricia). Tricia told me about 4-5 month ago that she wanted to train for a half-marathon with me & I suggested that we do the KC half together. So, that's just what we did this last weekend :-).

I was so proud of Tricia! She trained really hard for this half-marathon & she did fantastic! We almost ran the whole thing together, but she had a little knee trouble, and we were fighting a bit of a thick crowd of runners around mile 5 which caused us to get separated (but only by about a minute or so). In the end we both did better than what we had hoped, and I got to claim my very first PR!


Even though my times will never garner any attention in the "running world", I was darn proud of my 2:10:14 finish this weekend! I shaved just over 20 minutes off of last years half-marathon time...WOOHOO! This weekend reminded me of just how much I LOVE race day! It's so much different than training days. There is a certain electricity in the air, and in the crowd, that just pushes you along! There really is nothing like it :-).


This year was also really special because my sweet, sweet hubby was out on the course with ALL THREE KIDS to cheer for me (what a guy)! What a fun surprise to see my family at mile 6, and at the finish line! One of these days I'm going to have to do a local full marathon, just so I can see my family along the way-LOL!


Here are a few pictures from Saturday:



Getting a little "pick-me-up" from Channy.


Hugs and kisses from the girls...


...and from my Dad and Jon :-)


Headed to the finish line...wheee!


Me and Tricia at the finish line :-)


Me and Jodi (Hi Jodi!!)


My little marathoner...he he he!


Oh, and Maya isn't about to be left out!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You REALLY amaze me!!! Yeah for Tricia.

Amber said...

Aww, thanks :-) Yeah...Tricia is pretty amazing!

Anonymous said...

I wish everyone could have seen Amber in her Glory on Saturday! SHe is so amazing...and such a great example of "wonderwoman"
You Rock Amber !!! OH and those Tshirts...I can't wait to get mine on Saturday!

Anonymous said...

You are such a rockstar!! I can't imagine running for fun- i get winded running up the stairs- but I'm glad you love it! You go girl!!-mic

Amber said...

Jodi-
I owe a lot of my "success" to you, my friend! I don't think I would have kept running after Disney last year if it wasn't for you & Susan keeping me going. Once I had some running friends it was a lot more fun to wake up at 4:00 a.m. on Saturday mornings :-).

Amber said...

Mic-
One year ago I couldn't imagine running being "fun" either-LOL!! About this time last year I was taking an ice bath every week after I ran, and popping Advil like it was candy. Nope...I didn't think running was a whole lot of fun-he he!

Funny thing is, the only thing that really makes me feel like a "rockstar" is finding a close parking space at the grocery store :-). Now that's incredible around my hood!

Sometimes I don't get dressed for the day until 5:00...pm, and on the weekend I let my kids eat cookies for breakfast. I drank coffee (and sometimes diet coke) when I was pregnant. I use under eye concealer to cover up my zits & I bake when I'm stressed. If you can deal with all that....then welcome to our family blog!