Wednesday, May 23, 2007

This is why I love running...

...you just never know what might happen when your out on a long run!


Karl...or "Koach Karl" (as he is known among the TNT folks) was my coach when I trained for the Disney marathon. If you have talked to me AT ALL in the last month then you have heard me talk about "Relentless For A Cure". Karl set out to complete 26 marathons in 26 days (yes, he is crazy!), to raise $$$ and awareness for TNT & the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Except for a little injury that sidelined him for a week (he had to stop running for one week), Karl has continued to tackle his crazy mission. Today was day number 23 of "Relentless" and here is what Karl had to say about his 16th Marathon this month...



Day 23:


"The following is not for the politically correct.What a fun and diverse day we had at the 39th Street Starbucks. Jeff Quint ran the full with me today; it has been about two years since we have run together. He left me for a woman and got married. So, it was fun to spend some time together and see the downtown sites. The first 6 were pretty uneventful, and except for the security guard with a walker, we felt very safe. Our next 7 miles we picked up Glynnis and headed for the Hood, east on 39th past Troost, Paseo and Wabash.. all stars of the local news. We got some really interesting looks, but it was funny. The best, though--we were stopped at a corner and a police officer rolled by. We waved, and he waved back and gave us the strangest look as if to say "Are you crazy?" All three of us laughed for the next block. We witnessed what we think was an eviction in progress--two police cars in front, along with two people outside shaking a piece of paper and a man behind a barred door refusing to come out. We dropped off Glynnis and went west to Rainbow and south to Shawnee Mission Pkwy, to the upper crust, so in about a six mile radius we went from the slums to the snobs. Then, it was east on 39th again to Main, where we were offered sex. We couldn't hear her well so I said "What?" and she repeated "Do you want to have sex with me?" Jeff and I thought she was just a little too forward; she should start maybe with some coffee and go from there, so we ventured on. As we were getting close to the end, someone preached to us, I think… we weren't really sure… it was a bunch of mumbling but we heard "The Bible" a few times in there. But the best came at the end when we were about 100 yards out. We saw what I would call a "crack whore" sitting on a bench cheering, "Here come the runners!" We looked over to see her smile wide, with no front teeth, and I think it scarred us for life. So that was my day.Our time was 5:49… talk to you tomorrow." -K2



************************************************************************************





Everyone...meet "Koach Karl". He really loves having his picture taken! So, you can imagine how much I was annoying him by snapping all sorts of pictures of him while he was running marathon #14 this past Monday :-).

Only 6 miles left!


Karl has started each marathon from a different Starbucks location in the KC area. Monday was at the Lee's Summit/291 location.
*************************************************************************************
I volunteered to work a marathon this past Monday & it really got me in the "running spirit" again! It's been at least a month since I've been to the gym (I was sick...the kids were sick...blah!), so now you can imagine what sort of "running fever" I'm going through. I've gone to three "Relentless" marathons this month & each time I've wished that I could be out there running the full with Karl (OK...maybe not on the rainy days...but all the other days I wanted to go running-LOL!). I can honestly say that this is one of the best parts of my life right now. I LOVE being a part of TNT! It's just such a great organization, that you can't help but love it! It also feels good to do something "outside of yourself" sometimes. The running part may be a little selfish now, because I love to run (I didn't used to love it so much). However, volunteering and fundraising is really becoming a passion of mine...because I love the cause!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, crack whores...

How I do miss working at Baptist Medical Center, Research, and Trinity... especially when the gay guys would come out of the woods at Trinity/Liberty Memorial and the Patty Wagon would come flying over the hills to pick them up...
Good times...

Anonymous said...

Too funny!!! So Jonathan has been there !! I have helped with 3 of the runs myself..and I feel just like you! I want so badly to be out there running with Karl ! I did make it 15 the day I ran on Mothers Day with Paula. But couldn't go any farther. Are you going to be there Saturday for the final day?? I hope so. I will be there. I am either going to go at 6:00 or 7:00...have not decided what time. SOOOOO>>>> what marathon are you doing next ?? PLEASE Tell me when you decide!!!

You are such an inspiration! I love reading your blog !
Jodi

Amber said...

Hey, Jodi!

Well, Jonathan still has not been out to one of the Relentless marathons...but maybe this Saturday.

* "Way back when" he worked for Baptist Medical Center doing maintenance work & he got to witness a lot of the "sights" that happen in the hood :-) Those were fun times....

I'm thinking about doing Disney again, because San Diego (2008)just seems too far away (wanna be a mentor with me?). I don't think I'm ready to start training for NIKE just yet.

Anonymous said...

I bet Jonathan did see alot !! Oh my...I can't imagine being on that run with Karl that day. I got news from Paula that he thinks he tore his quad muscle today. I feel so sorry for him. I am sure it will be on his website tomorrow.
I am doing disney too !! I would love to be on your team !!!! You could be MY mentor !! :-) That would be sooooo fun !! I am doing Chicago in October and I think I have decided against Hawaii. Don't have the money for that one. :-) You just let me know when and what you plan to do!! I hope to see you Saturday !! MISS YOU!
Jodi

Anonymous said...

What a fun post! That's pretty hilarious.

I am amazed by this Karl of yours! What a neat man to commit to sooo much.

I saw a couple of people running the other day and when I got up close they had the tnt shirts on. I wanted to yell out the window that I had a friend doing what they were and to "go, go, go!"

Amber said...

Jodi-
Well, I guess if you are already done fundraising then you wouldn't need to be a mentor, huh? Can I have you on my team? That would be a funny twist. Are Susan and Mary going to do Disney too? Let's promise to do Arizona if we ever do another winter marathon :-)

If I can get my butt to the gym, I may try to the KC marathon in October. I think that's the only way friends and family will ever get to come to one of my races. Are you going to train with the Nike team this summer (even though you are doing Chicago)?

See you Saturday!

Amber said...

Karen-
If you ever see TNT runners again then roll down that window and scream like a crazy lady! They LOVE it!

Sometimes I don't get dressed for the day until 5:00...pm, and on the weekend I let my kids eat cookies for breakfast. I drank coffee (and sometimes diet coke) when I was pregnant. I use under eye concealer to cover up my zits & I bake when I'm stressed. If you can deal with all that....then welcome to our family blog!