Sunday, August 02, 2009

Everybody's Changing.

Just the other day Chandler was running through the living room and knocked over a wedding picture I had on top of the armoire and the glass in the frame broke, and when I went to pick up the picture I paused for a moment to really take a good look at it. What happened next kinda surprised me. I cried...really hard. I cried because when I looked at the picture I realized EVERYTHING has changed since that time in my life, and that was only 9 years ago. How could I not really know or talk to a single person who stood up with me in my wedding (besides my own family)? How could those friendships I cherished so much be gone, just like that? Nothing happened to make the friendships change, except, well....life. How does that happen?

I've been struggling lately with these feelings, and I know it's because I didn't expect to arrive at 30 and be starting all over again in the friendship department. The truth is, I miss the familiarity of old friendships, when people just knew me. When I didn't have to explain myself, my past, my likes and dislikes, and why I am the way I am. When I could just be me & that was OK. The comfortable familiarity of an old friend is something to be cherished for sure!

Now I'm starting over & while I except that it is what it is, I still miss having an old friend or two in my life. This could also just be a season for me to walk through & not a permanent change. People change, they come and go sometimes, kids grow up, schedules change, as do circumstances. That's about the only thing I can count on...life will always change. To be honest, I feel very lucky to have a few new(er) friends that are quickly beginning to feel like "old friends" to me. It's kinda funny how new friendships can sometimes have that feel to them.

You see, I really do love many things about my life, no doubt about that! I have a beautiful family, one that truly makes me feel blessed beyond measure, & I have wonderful new adventures and friendship on the horizon that make me feel excited to be opening this new chapter in my life. However, I think when you come to this place I'm at it's always a little painful to turn this new page. At times I find myself still longing for the way things used to be. The truth is...I'm not the person I was 10 years ago, so why should I expect my life to be the same? As much as I want to go back & re-claim parts of my past so that I can always have those people or fun memories in my life forever...I can't. My past was full of wonderful people and memories & and my future will be as well! Praise God for that.

Things come and go. Friends come and go. Circumstances come and go. Life has this ever changing fluid ebb and flow to it, & nothing we do or say can ever change that. The only things that remain my constants are my family and my God...and the fact that things will never stay the same!


And just because I like Keane..... :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC08xwrQ5gU



No comments:

Sometimes I don't get dressed for the day until 5:00...pm, and on the weekend I let my kids eat cookies for breakfast. I drank coffee (and sometimes diet coke) when I was pregnant. I use under eye concealer to cover up my zits & I bake when I'm stressed. If you can deal with all that....then welcome to our family blog!