Tuesday, April 29, 2008

It's over!

Well, this is gonna be the short version of my oral surgery story (because I'm really busy today).

I had my surgery yesterday (despite contemplating how I was going to get out of it all last week). I was pretty proud of myself for even showing up at the endodontists office yesterday. Inside, I think I really just wanted to get it over with. The surgery itself was not too horribly painful, because they made sure to numb me up really well. I can't say I enjoyed getting to witness my own apicoectomy (cutting out the root tip of a tooth), but I imagine that might give me some new bragging rights. No?? I mean, not many people can tell you what it sounds like to have two large roots from your upper right molar scraped out of your head. It's...memorable to say the least. Oh, and it was bloody too...very, very bloody!

The pain was pretty significant after all the numbness wore off. I thought maybe I was going to vomit in the middle of Walgreen's when I went to pick up my prescriptions last night. However, I told myself to do everything in my power to avoid vomiting, because I figured stomach acid would probably make the 20 or so stitches in my upper gums burn like wild fire! So, no vomiting for me :-). For those of you who were wondering, you CAN take prescription pain killers when you are pregnant. My lovely midwife called my endodontist a "dork" for telling me I couldn't take anything after surgery & gave me a Rx for Tylenol 3. I really love my midwife right now! Had it not been for those pain killers, I'm quite confident I would not have been able to sleep last night.

So, here's to 6 more days of soft foods, careful chewing on the left side of my mouth only, and lots of pain killers to get me through! But, at least it's over now!!

3 comments:

Faith said...

I was cringing just reading your post! Ughh. At least it is over with, right!

PS: I love midwives, they are the best!

Anonymous said...

I'm sooo glad that is behind you now!!! Now hopefully all the insurance stuff will cooperate for you.

Amber said...

Faith- Let's hope I never have to do this again, because I don't know if I could make myself sign up for this ever again! But, yes...I'm so glad it's over.

*I LOVE my midwife group! I wish I would have switched a long time ago. Although, I do kinda think it's funny that so many people want to know if I'm having this baby at home! Honestly, I would have this baby at home in a heartbeat if: a)It was legal in our state-LOL! b)I had help around the house (If I ever had a baby at home I would have to get up 10 minutes after the birth and cook and clean for everyone else!). So...no homebirth for me :-).

Karen-
I am really hoping my insurance comes through for me. I mean, who else (besides me) uses up their ENTIRE yearly allowance (and then some) on ONE dental procedure?? In my opinion $1,500 for a stupid root removal is a little absurd! I'm going to tell my girls to look for their future husbands at a dental school! Seriously, I think this endodontist brings in 50K a day!!!

Sometimes I don't get dressed for the day until 5:00...pm, and on the weekend I let my kids eat cookies for breakfast. I drank coffee (and sometimes diet coke) when I was pregnant. I use under eye concealer to cover up my zits & I bake when I'm stressed. If you can deal with all that....then welcome to our family blog!