Friday, April 25, 2008

What kind of world do you want.

The last week has been full of ups and downs for me (and NO it's not just the funky pregnancy hormones messing with me!). Last Friday Jonathan and I went to Chandler's "moving up" IEP (individual education plan) meeting. My little boy is starting Kindergarten next year & believe me when I say "I am NOT ready".

I know I don't talk about it much on my blog, but most of you know our son Chandler has autism. I purposefully do not mention it all that often because I want my son to be treated normally. I don't want people to see him as "that kid with autism". I want them first and foremost to see him as "Chandler". In so many ways he is just your average 4 year old little boy (except for the fact that he is the size of a 10 year old!), doing very normal little kid things. I guess we are "lucky" that he has a very high functioning form of autism, and over the last two years he has learned to function and communicate quite well.

However, I have reminders every day of the battle I am up against. For instance, I have an almost 5 year old that still tantrums like a two year old when he gets upset & often times he does not have the words to tell me what he wants. He does not understand what kinds of things are dangerous for him (despite us explaining it to him dozens of times). He is attracted to "shiny" knives, the bright red light that comes on when the stove top burners are turned on, he loves water & will jump right in the deep end of the pool despite almost drowning one time. His syntax is often jumbled and very difficult to interpret ("I want for to the dinosaurs box books green at the store"... Take a stab at that meaning???). There are lots of little idiosyncrasies that make up Chandler, but that's part of what I love about him. He can be very difficult to understand at times, but I believe he is full of potential.

One of the more difficult tasks of being a parent of an autistic child is having to attend these IEP meetings & hear about how other people view your child's abilities. I have very high hopes and expectations for my son, and I've had to learn how to be his advocate in a world that constantly puts limitations on him. I understand why they may "limit" him in some areas, but that doesn't mean it's not painful to hear that your child can't do what all the other kids his age are doing. I've had to find the balance of fighting for him in the areas where I know he is capable, and accepting the areas where I think he still needs help. It's not a fun thing to have to talk to 8 people for 2 hours about what your child can't do.

For now, I hold on to the hope that one day we will find a cure for this awful disease that is affecting 1 in every 150 children. As a parent it's terrifying to not know what causes it. You live in constant fear that you may actually be harming your child further with everyday things like the food they eat, the water they drink, the medicines they take when they get sick, and of course the vaccines they receive (should you do them, or should you stop them altogether?). None of the answers are simple, and no one solution seems to work for every child. It's frustrating and disheartening to feel so helpless when you see that your child suffers with something that NO ONE has an answer for.

However, I have chosen not to feel sorry for myself (and I don't want you to feel sorry for me either). What I DO want to do is help my son and the millions of other children that suffer with ND's (neurological disorders)find a cure. If it means I have to be more vocal about Chandler's autism...then so be it. I'll just have to trust that the world will still see in him all the potential that I see. It's a hard thing to trust other people with your child, especially when you fear that they will judge your child just because they don't understand them. But, that's one thing that I want to change for Chandler's future. I want this world to be a place that loves and accepts him even if he is never "normal". I know that's a tall order, but unless I stay optimistic and ever vigilant, it may never happen.

So, what kind of world do you want?

*This is a video of a little boy who is struggling with autism and I thought it was touching & very appropriate for this post :-) Enjoy!

http://www.whatkindofworlddoyouwant.com/

6 comments:

Faith said...

Wow. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and that video. Your attitude is an inspiration!

Amber said...

Thanks, Faith :-) I don't know about being any sort of "inspiration"... but I'm trying my darndest to do what I think is right.

This particular aspect of my life has been one of the most difficult "mountains" I've had to climb thus far. I've only survived this challenge because God has been so good to me & given me everything I needed just when I needed it. I could go on and on about all the things that have happened that brought us to this place...but suffice it to say "God is good". We are truly blessed!

Anonymous said...

Amber I have always said and will continue to say....God picked out Chandler's Mom especially for him. He knew that he would need YOU to be his advocate! He needs a momma that doesn't back down, can fight for him and keep his best interest in view all the time.

You do inspire me, my friend!!

Anonymous said...

Amber- Thanks for sharing your heart so openly! I love that you lay it all out there and don't hold back! michaela

Anonymous said...

Amber-
You are an inspiration to us all. What a great mother you are! And Chandler is a very lucky boy. You know exactly what to say and exactly what you want for your son. You keep being the great mother you are and Chandler will do well in this world!
Jodi

Anonymous said...

Ηowԁy! I knοω this is kinda оff topic hοωeνer ,
I'd figured I'd аsk. Wοuld уou be іntеrestеd in eхchanging links
or maybе guest authоring a blοg рoѕt οr vіce-versa?

My website goes over a lot of thе same subjесtѕ аs yourѕ anԁ I fеel ωе cοuld
greatly bеnefіt from еach other. If you hapрen
tο be intеrested fеel frеe to shoоt me
an emаil. I look forωarԁ tо heаring fгom уou!
Ѕupeгb blog by thе way!

Feel fгeе to surf tο my blog ... Cheapest Car Insurance

Sometimes I don't get dressed for the day until 5:00...pm, and on the weekend I let my kids eat cookies for breakfast. I drank coffee (and sometimes diet coke) when I was pregnant. I use under eye concealer to cover up my zits & I bake when I'm stressed. If you can deal with all that....then welcome to our family blog!