Monday, April 07, 2008

Mama's Still Got It!

I could not let the events of this past weekend pass without at least a brief mention of them (because this sort of thing never happens to me). The short of it is I was hit on TWICE this weekend. Yep...two times! Now, the surrounding circumstances may take away from that a little bit, so I thought it was important to "WOW" you with the raw facts first-LOL! As I'm sure you all are aware by now, I'm carrying baby #4 and growing quite fast this time, so I've been trying my darnedest to conceal my ever-expanding tummy to the best of my ability. It gets really old to hear all the comments about how "big" I am this soon (there will be plenty of time for that later!).

So...Saturday night I decided to squeeze into my jeans one last time (mainly because I don't have anything else to wear right now) to go out for the evening. Jonathan and I went to Paddy O's to catch the KU/NC game (which was freaking awesome!) with some friends. We spent all evening at the pub watching both of the final 4 games, and by the end of the night I was feeling bloated and more than a little uncomfy in my pre-preggo jeans. That's when it happened. The drunk guy that had been sitting across from our table all evening and cheering with us told me I was "beautiful", and asked if I was married. HA! That's when my brother-in-law laughed and said "She's not only married, but she is working on baby #4". I don't really think this guy got all of that (he was on beer number 9 or 10 by that point), but he gave me a high-five & told Jon he was "lucky". Ah, nothing like a drunk man to boost a pregnant girls confidence :-).

The second "hit" happened on Sunday at the grocery store. I was in the produce section marking things things off my way-too-detailed shopping list (I'm trying to stick to a budget, which requires a lot of fine tuning to my grocery list), when I saw this Nigerian man pass by me and look over my shoulder at my produce list. I smiled because I thought he probably wondered what the heck I was doing writing prices beside all the things on my list. Then, he did it again...he pulled his cart right up to mine & looked me straight in the eyes and smiled. At this point I was pretty sure he found my shopping style down right sexy...you know, with the whole typed list with sub-categories and all. Oh, and I was also weighing all the produce, and then calculating everything with my cell phone calculator (grrrr, baby!). I know some men find that anal-retentive shopping strategy completely irresistible! I smiled back and moved along. A few minutes later, when I had moved on to the hamburger helper aisle, he came by again. This time he formerly introduced himself & asked my name, and if I had a boyfriend! There I was, holding my box of cheeseburger macaroni, wearing my first pair of maternity pants, and I was being hit on for the second time that weekend! It just doesn't get any better than this-ha!

Of course, when I told my husband about my grocery store "hit" he laughed and said "Jonathan" (that was his name...how funny is that!) was probably interested in me because I was a "citizen". Oh, puh-lease! He was clearly attracted to my very detailed hunting and gathering skills, and I won't let myself believe any different. I think this baby is giving me a "glow" that men see, but don't understand. Heck, I better get something good out of the deal since I'm already caving to the temptation of maternity wear this early on :-).

*This is a boy....I'm sure of it now! My girls just give my zits and oily hair. Chandler made me "glow"...therefore I'm voting BOY this time around :-).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amber-That is GREAT ! And you are beautiful !! Any time you are hit on is always a boost to the ole ego! Especially when you are pregnant and not feeling as sexy-hot as you used to! You Rock Girl!
Jodi

Faith said...

I felt better with my last pregnancy than any others... I always attributed it to how much maternity styles have improved over the last 10 years. More flattering, less frumpy! Of course, this has nothing to do with you being hit on, just a side commentary! :-)
Congrats on getting hit on 2x, nothing like that to make you feel so good! I hope it is a boy for you, I love having 2 boys and 2 girls!

Amber said...

Jodi-
Did you miss the part about guy being drunk? Ha! That made me laugh so hard when I realized only the drunks & really desperate men hit on me...but I'll take it!

I'll keep working this little "gut" for all it's worth if it garners this kind of attention all the time! Just kidding ;-).

Amber said...

Faith-
Well, I don't think I've decided how I feel about this pregnancy yet. I'm trying to adapt a healthy point of view this time around, because there is no sense in fighting it. I get pretty big and round when I'm pregnant, and I think I'm just learning to accept that this time around. I also need to learn to igrore all the attention my "size" causes. It's gets really old having EVERY LAST PERSON on this earth comment about my "roundness". I want to be able to say this is the "best" I've felt while pregnant.

I think I'd be just fine with another girl, but for Chandler's sake I really hope he gets a brother :-).

Anonymous said...

That's so great!! Glad you got your pregnant ego boosted a little bit.

I remember after the third kid getting hit on and it was just downright strange! You go from feeling like an ugly, worn out, nursed out, stretch marked "MOM" and then when someone notices you....well, it just doesn't seem right. I wanted to go "ewww...gross! Are you thinking right?"

Sometimes I don't get dressed for the day until 5:00...pm, and on the weekend I let my kids eat cookies for breakfast. I drank coffee (and sometimes diet coke) when I was pregnant. I use under eye concealer to cover up my zits & I bake when I'm stressed. If you can deal with all that....then welcome to our family blog!