Thursday, July 02, 2009

Mandarin Orange Muffins.

Seriously...did I forget to do a "What's For Dinner?" post AGAIN! Well, to make up for it I'm going to post one of our favorite new muffin recipes. Hope you love em as much as my little crew does!
Mandarin Orange Muffins














- 1 Cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup reduced fat milk (1% or skim if you as so inclined!)
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon Canola oil
- 2 Tablespoons softened light butter
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 11-oz can mandarin orange slices in light syrup, drained.

*Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flours, sugar, baking powder, and orange zest in a medium mixing bowl. Make a well in the center. In another mixing bowl mix egg whites, milk, OJ, oil, and butter. Add wet mixture to dry mixture all at once. Stir just until moistened. Set aside 12 orange slices (or 24 if you are doing mini muffins) & add the rest of the oranges to the batter. Stir the batter to blend in the oranges. Coat muffin tins with cooking spray. Fill each cup evenly with batter and top with one orange slice. Bake for 20 minutes (or 12-14 minutes for mini muffins).

**These are a great treat & low in fat. Each regular muffin only has 131 calories, 2.6 grams or protein, 23.3 grams of carbs, and 2.3 grams of fat. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Toby D. said...

I love this picture. I'm so hungry for some muffins now. Thanks!!

Sometimes I don't get dressed for the day until 5:00...pm, and on the weekend I let my kids eat cookies for breakfast. I drank coffee (and sometimes diet coke) when I was pregnant. I use under eye concealer to cover up my zits & I bake when I'm stressed. If you can deal with all that....then welcome to our family blog!