Wednesday, July 01, 2009

The Bathroom Makeover.

We were pretty busy around our house a few weeks ago & one of the rooms that got a "makeover" was our ugly little back bathroom. I've always hated that bathroom because of it's country blue counter top & powder blue linoleum. It seemed there was nothing I could do to make peace with those blue disasters! But, about a month ago as I was wondering through my favorite store (Target), I stumbled upon a cute little shower curtain & my wheels started turning. What if I married those tragic blue disasters with a more modern twist!! Maybe...just maybe I could make it work.

I bought that shower curtain & several other matching pieces & took them home to do some planning. I hung up the new shower curtain & started trying out some new colors. At first I thought I had struck gold with a $5 "oops" bucket of paint from Home Depot, but when I got the paint home it was all wrong (bummer!). I guess I need to leave those sorts of divine decorating interventions to my friend Karen. Karen always seems to happen upon those kinds of steals every time she re-decorates! The day after the "oops!" paint disappointment my sister happened to stop by our house. She saw my new shower curtain & said "Hey, I bet the leftover paint from Zion's room would match that shower curtain perfectly!". Then she told me it was a Disney color called "pool blue". That sounded just about perfect to me!

Hmmmm....... Looks like I got an even better deal than a $5 bucket of paint after all! I guess if you can't find what you want on the clearance aisle at Home Depot then trolling around in your sisters basement for leftover paint is the next best thing!

What do you think??

View from the door.


















Don't you love the two different colors? I was so excited when I found the lighter color of aqua blue at the bottom of a stack of paint cans. My sister said she has NO IDEA where that paint color came from. It was probably from the previous owners of her home!!














The new rug....so cute!

(FYI-I have rotated this picture about a dozen times and it just won't "stick".....I give up!)















You know you wanted to see the new hand towel too ;-)













I took this picture because I had to let you know about this yummy new soap I discovered! The bar of goats milk soap in this picture is the BEST soap ever! It smells so wonderful!! It's lavender and mint scented & it makes the whole bathroom smell good. It's from a local company, but you can order it on-line if you want. It's from the "ZUM" soap company. Check it out and order yourself a bar or two! It's great stuff!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Super cute!! And I love Zum soap, my moms store sells it and I sometimes come across "free" samples which makes my day! michaela

Amber said...

Thanks, Michaela! It's nice to finally have one room in my house that I think is cute...even if it is just the bathroom-ha! I think I've been living under a rock because I just now discovered ZUM soap-LOVE IT! FREE ZUM soap would be even better! It's a bit much ($$) for just one bar of soap, but I felt like the new bathroom needed an extra little splurge. Hey...you can do that when you get free paint from your sisters basement!

Irene said...

Bathroom looks great!

Anonymous said...

It looks awesome ! You are so talented! Add decorating to your list of talents! Can you buy the ZUM soap at HyVee? I know they carry most of the ZUM Sprays..I love the Frankensenth (sp??) Myrth spray! I will have to look at HyVee next time I am there.
jodi

Sometimes I don't get dressed for the day until 5:00...pm, and on the weekend I let my kids eat cookies for breakfast. I drank coffee (and sometimes diet coke) when I was pregnant. I use under eye concealer to cover up my zits & I bake when I'm stressed. If you can deal with all that....then welcome to our family blog!