Tuesday, November 04, 2008

The 10 Cannots!

On this Election Day 2008, I want to encourage everyone to go vote...but, be sure you understand what you are voting for ;-). A lot has been said about this election and the two candidates running for president, but it is your duty to decipher for yourself what it is you really believe. Politicians will just tell you what they think you want to hear, so it's important that you wade through all that crap to find the real truth.

My hubby sent me an e-mail this morning with the "10 Cannots" & I thought it might be some good old fashioned wisdom for you to think on as you head to the polls today.

The 10 Cannots


By William J. H. Boetcker
(wrongfully attributed to Abraham Lincoln)



You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.



You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.



You cannot help the poor man by destroying the rich.



You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.



You cannot build character and courage by taking away man's initiative and independence.



You cannot help small men by tearing down big men.



You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.



You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than your income.



You cannot establish security on borrowed money.



You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they will not do for themselves.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite is: You cannot establish security on borrowed money.

When will we learn our lesson? Hopefully, before it's too late.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Jonathan, I feel that one. Even after going through Financial Peace sometimes I feel the itch to put something on time and not pay for it outright.

These are such good comments. Thanks for sharing those.

The election is over today but now it's time to really pray for these new leaders. I find comfort in the fact that God already knew the outcome of the election and that He is still in control.

Amber said...

I like all of the the 10 "cannots" but, I'd have to say the two that stuck out to me were "You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong" & "You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they will not do for themselves".

That last one applies to me personally as a parent of 4 small children. I really want my kids to understand that the answer to all their problems is NOT by having me come in a "fix" everything for them. I've been making the two older kids work things out for themselves when they argue because I don't want to be 60 years old and still fighting my kids battles for them.

I'm really trying to teach McKenna through this election that life may not always be "fair", but that doesn't excuse us from doing what we know is right. It's never right to desire to to bring down the strong so that they are a "bottom dweller" without hope too. We need the strong people to have someone to look up to...something better to strive for.

It's been interesting to see this election through the eyes of a child because they are so simple...so honest. If only adults could be so real!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for those great pieces of advice. Funny I got those same ones from Karl today and it stated 'words of Abraham Lincoln" ... but I notice that is not really who the words came from. :-) I love what Karen said about the fact that God already knew the outcome and it is still in his control ! And yes..innocent children are so honest and yet so simple! Also on another note...thanks for the great new songs on your blog ! I also hope that you are feeling better! MISS YOU !
Jodi

Amber said...

Hi, Jodi!
I thought about Karl when I posted this! I can hear him saying some of these things (with a few %%#$^% mixed in there-LOL!)! I also got his "GO VOTE" e-mail on Tuesday. I'd love to talk politics with him again- he has my hardcore "red" views that are hard to come by in this idiotic/idealistic/commy-loving society (oops...did I just say that out loud?). HA!

I miss you too! Judah and I are going to have to come out to one of your runs again. Please tell me when you have another run that starts at starbucks (or other coffee place) & we will come out. I'm going to try running again in two weeks. I'll let you know how it goes!

Anonymous said...

Ahh, I love your legs

...I mean blog.

Freudian slip there...

Amber said...

Are you sure it's my legs you love?

Sometimes I don't get dressed for the day until 5:00...pm, and on the weekend I let my kids eat cookies for breakfast. I drank coffee (and sometimes diet coke) when I was pregnant. I use under eye concealer to cover up my zits & I bake when I'm stressed. If you can deal with all that....then welcome to our family blog!