Sunday, March 09, 2008

Ready for something new....

So am I! It's been kinda slow and boring around here, so I'm sorry I don't have any fresh thoughts to share right now.

Well, that's not exactly true...I will have a "book report" to share in the following weeks (don't hold your breath though...I'm a slow reader). I'm sure I'll have all sorts of thoughts to share when I'm done with this read. I'm reading a book called "Pagan Christianity" and it's rocking my world! I cried when I read the introduction because I couldn't believe I had finally found something that affirmed everything I've been feeling in my spirit over the last couple of years. I guess you could say I'm having an epiphany of sorts.

If you are curious, you can check out the authors my space site :

http://www.myspace.com/frankaviola

Just a warning though...this is not going to be for everyone! We are all on a journey, and this is my journey. I don't expect this book will be a hit with many Christians, as many Churches have tried to ban this book from even being sold! Maybe that's what made me want to read it so much....I had to know what was so "scandalous". What I found was a quote that made my "outside of the box" disposition smile a little on the inside....

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident."
[-Arthur Schopenhauer, Nineteenth-Century German Philosopher]

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds interesting.

I'm sure you will fly through this book during your breaks from bon-bons and soap operas!

Faith said...

... running out to get this book ASAP . . . can't wait to talk with you about it!

Amber said...

Mr. Bulky-
You should know me better than that!

You know I sleep all day so I miss all the good daytime drama on TV! Oh, and I'd rather have a nice warm brownie with vanilla bean ice cream...the bon-bons get old real fast. :-)

Amber said...

Faith-
My mom bought it for me off of Amazon for $9.99. :-)

However, like I said, many US Churches have raised a huge fuss over this book & they were trying to force Amazon to stop selling it! The publisher has even had a ton of backlash! If you can't get it on Amazon you can always buy it off of Frank Viola's website....or I'll just loan you my copy when I'm done :-).

Faith said...

Neil's dad was talking about some book we should a few weeks back. . . think it must be this one, hehe. The rebel in me insists that I go get it so I can see what the big deal is. LOL

Faith said...

He told us to AVOID the book.... the word avoid disappeared from my sentence up there. Sorry 'bout that.

Faith said...

Okay, one more comment for the night! I just talked to my FIL and this isn't the book he was talking about, just to update. I think my dad would love this book though (anything by George Barna!) so maybe I will get him a copy.

Amber said...

Did you find it on Amazon? We have had really nice weather here (for a change,)so I've been outside with the kids a lot & haven't picked up the book for a few days. I'll get caught up over the weekend & try to finish the book in the next couple of weeks so we can chat about it.

I totally laughed when you said the "rebel" in you had to know what it was all about. I know exactly what you mean...hehe :-)

Faith said...

I saw it on Amazon but haven't gotten it yet. We are flying home for my BIL's wedding tomorrow (whoohoo) so I will try to pick it up for my dad tonight so I can give it to him for his BD--then read it of course! ;-)

Sometimes I don't get dressed for the day until 5:00...pm, and on the weekend I let my kids eat cookies for breakfast. I drank coffee (and sometimes diet coke) when I was pregnant. I use under eye concealer to cover up my zits & I bake when I'm stressed. If you can deal with all that....then welcome to our family blog!