Thursday, March 20, 2008

My dentist LOVES me...

Because people like me make her very, very rich! Every time I pull into the office parking lot and see her shiny green Porsche Cayenne, I shake my head and wonder how much of that car is "mine"- HA!

I've been told over the years that I have "perfect" gums & that I obviously take very good care of my teeth....but it really doesn't mean crap in the long run! It's so bad that my dentist & her entire staff know me on a first name basis. When I call the office I'm all "Hey, Kelly - It's Amber...yep me again". It's like that! We're even so comfortable with each other (me and the receptionist) that we talk about the kids, where we get our hair cut, what we are making for dinner, and stuff like that :-). When I come in for an appt I don't even have to sign in on that clipboard thing because they already know me.

I'm the urban legend that dentists hear about in school, but they never believe there really is a person out there with a mouth like that!
When there is a "best case/worst case" scenario...I'm ALWAYS the worst case! Yep, that's me! I'm the person who uses up her entire insurance allowance 2 months into the year & get to pay everything else out of pocket for the remaining 10 months of the year. Do you see where this post is going?

Anyway....I've had this funny little "bump" on my gums & I figured it was something bad, but what's new? So, I let it go for a month or so to see if it might miraculously go away on it's own...it didn't. So, today we were at the park (right across the street from my dentist office) and McKenna had to go to the bathroom so we went to the dentists office to use their potty (because it's WAY cleaner then the nasty porta-potty's at the park). While McKenna was using the facilities I tell the receptionist I need to have this "bump" checked out because I think it's a problem I'm having with an old root canal. About that time the dentist comes out & was like "hey Amber...what's up?" (first name basis...gotta love it). When I told her what was going on she got me right back to look at it (no appt necessary for me!). Sure enough, it's a bad root canal! Who has that? Seriously...who? ME...that's who!

So, guess what? I've got a really bad infection that needs to be treated & a root canal that needs to be re-done...through the gum line (oh, joy!) They don't want to take the crown off and go through the tooth because apparently that's more risky. The best part of all of this is that I get to pay for most of this (which is very expensive)out-of-pocket. I also get to look forward to an extremely painful oral surgery that I can't be put out for, or take any "good" pain killers for, because I'm pregnant :-). Anyone wanna trade shoes with me...anyone?

I'm gonna go cry now............. I hate teeth!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really, really fell badly for you honey. The genetics curse you have isn't fair. But never fear, I'm sure at least one of our kids (I'm wagering Chandler) will inherit those genes too, and by their teenage years we'll get to pay double for those genes.

I love you!!!!!

Jon

Faith said...

I am so sorry Amber. I hate going to the dentist. :-(

Anonymous said...

Hi AMber! You poor thing. I have never had a root canal but have had my share of fillings-yuk! I hope that it all goes well. It will all be better soon! And I am sure you will get sympathy from your kids and hubby. So... you just sit back and let them take care of you.. you and the new baby need some TLC ! :-)
Jodi

Amber said...

Thank you everyone for feeling sorry for me :-). It helps to know other people feel badly for me...but don't want to be me-ha! Oh, it's always something with me. My life never lacks in the "good story telling" department. I'll get through this...after several hundred dollars and a whole lot of un-medicated pain.....

It's a good thing God made the person with the wisdom and insight to create popsicles, and ice cream for people like me!

Anonymous said...

Oh....my.......gosh!!!!!!! I'm sorry you are dealing with this.

Maybe a nice set of "falsies" would be cheaper...?????

Anonymous said...

Damn!

Anonymous said...

Τhanκs а lot fοr sharing thiѕ with аll оf us yοu reаlly гealize what you're speaking about! Bookmarked. Please also talk over with my site =). We will have a link change arrangement between us

My web blog: Universal Life Insurance

Anonymous said...

Howdy! Ι could havе sworn I've visited your blog before but after browsing through a few of the posts I realized it's new to me.
Rеgardless, I'm certainly happy I found it and I'll be book-marking it
and сhеcking baсk frequentlу!

Taκe a loοk at my blog рoѕt - Car Insurance quotes

Sometimes I don't get dressed for the day until 5:00...pm, and on the weekend I let my kids eat cookies for breakfast. I drank coffee (and sometimes diet coke) when I was pregnant. I use under eye concealer to cover up my zits & I bake when I'm stressed. If you can deal with all that....then welcome to our family blog!