Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Well, it was a rainy, yucky day today so I did what I love to do most on rainy days and I cooked ALL day long! I usually serve green pancakes and eggs for breakfast on St. Patty's day, but the kids didn't want to wait for a "festive" breakfast this morning, so I just let that one go (easy to do when you feel queasy in the mornings anyway...). I was actually more excited about my dinner plans!

This year I wanted to do something special for St. Patrick's Day because: 1) the kids were home on Spring break, and 2) This is probably the only stress-free holiday we get to spend together as a family. Sometimes I really hate that my kids never get to enjoy just being at their home for holidays. I decided that I want to make St. Patrick's day a fun-filled day where we don't have to worry about running around to see all the grandparents, missing naps, stressing out about helping cook a big meal, or worrying about keeping the kids clean in their matching outfits so that every relative under the sun can take 14928923 pictures of them before they roll around in the dirt!! I just wanted to do something special with my family for once!

So.....this year I got brave and cooked my first ever "traditional" Irish feast! I had so much fun doing research on Irish meals & finding new recipes. In the end I settled on Guinness Corn Beef, Colcannon, Irish Soda Bread, and of course we had roasted carrots and parsnips too! Oh, and in my family one kind of bread just isn't enough, so we had to have regular raised rolls as well. :-)

It was really fun & I think this may just become a new family tradition. McKenna was our brave one & she tried a little bit of everything! She even said she LOVED dinner! WooHoo! Chandler and Maya were not so easily convinced...but they both settled on Irish Soda Bread for their dinner. Hey, at least they tried something new. At our house we call that a VICTORY!


McKenna and Chandler checking things out.

Irish Soda Bread

Guinness Corned Beef, Colcannon, and Roasted Carrots/Parsnips.


That's Chandler letting me know he had no intention of trying the carrots and parsnips! (sigh)

4 comments:

Faith said...

Wow, I am impressed. Your children are blessed to have such a fun and creative mom!

Amber said...

Aww, you are too sweet! But, don't be too impressed. I really just love to cook, so I use any excuse to do so :-). Truth be told... my kids played A LOT of webkinz while I cooked yesterday!

Anonymous said...

Good looking meal!!! Did you like the Colcannon. I DID! Tom liked it and Evely did too. However, Julian took one bite and ran for the trash can and I couldn't get Jaden to put any of it in his mouth. That was my only irish dish.

Did you like the soda bread?

Amber said...

Oh, I LOVED it!

The soda bread was wonderful, but I should have frozen half of it. It makes a HUGE loaf & I think it's going bad now & only half of it is gone! :-(

Sometimes I don't get dressed for the day until 5:00...pm, and on the weekend I let my kids eat cookies for breakfast. I drank coffee (and sometimes diet coke) when I was pregnant. I use under eye concealer to cover up my zits & I bake when I'm stressed. If you can deal with all that....then welcome to our family blog!