Monday, January 28, 2008

How I spent my anniversary this year.

I really should give myself some distance from this situation before I go and write about it....but I've decided that this must go on my blog right away (rolling eyes).

As some of you may be aware, Jonathan and I have a "curse" of sorts that always strikes around our anniversary, and this year was no exception! Let me refresh your memory on how we have spent past anniversaries.....


8 straight years of anniversary sabotage!


1-Great-Grandma died & we had to travel to IL for the funeral. It was RECORD low temps that weekend and I got a cold.



2-The Great 2002 Ice Storm! We had a 8 week old baby and we spent all our money on a generator because we had no power...oh, and Jon got some wicked flu!



3-I was pg with Chandler and sick, sick, sick!



4-Oh...we did actually get to stay in a hotel this year!!! McKenna had the flu & Chandler was only 7 months old, but my Mom watched them anyway :-)



5- I was pg with Maya this year and still feeling sick because of that. BOTH of the kids got the stomach flu the day before I was going to fly to GA to meet Jon. My mom still watched the kids for me so I could go. The very night I landed in GA to meet up with Jon I got the same bug the kids had & I spent most of our "romantic getaway" puking!!



6- I had the worlds WORST sinus infection that year & couldn't even taste anything at dinner. We skipped going to a movie & instead went to the grocery store on our way home to buy tea, juice, and cold medicine for me :-(.



7-McKenna gets the flu, and we have to cancel all our plans!



8 - CHANDLER GETS ATTACKED BY A DOG & WE GET TO SPEND 5 HOURS IN THE ER!



Yep! This is no lie! I had been trying all week to figure out a day that Jonathan and I could go out to celebrate our anniversary. Several of our plans fell through & then we finally decided to go out on Sunday night. The day started off perfectly as we dropped the kids off at my parents house & headed out to an early movie so that we could catch dinner and a movie before the kids bedtime (it was a school night after all). We did get to see the movie together (only because we had our phones turned off), but as soon as we left the theater & I turned my phone back on I saw that my parents had called my phone about 10 times.



That's when the "fun" began. To make a very long story short...My dad took McKenna and Chandler for a walk around their neighborhood & they saw a little Jack Russel Terrier that looked like Bentley (my parents old dog) & they asked the owner if they could pet the dog. The owner said "sure" and set the dog down & the dog charged at Chandler and immediately bit him on the arm. Somehow, that little 14 lb dog was able to bite through my sons puffy winter coat and long sleeve shirt...and do some pretty good damage. It could have been much, much worse, but everyone acted quickly & the dog only got a few bites in before they got him off. In the end Chandler only had one really bad puncture wound, and the ER doctor said they were not going to do stitches because they wanted to prevent any kind of infection from setting in.



So, that's how I got to spend this years anniversary. Let me tell you, there is just nothing like spending 4 hours in the ER waiting to be seen (with a overstimulated, over-sugared 4 year old who is up 3 hours past his bedtime)! When we finally got to head towards home it was after midnight & Jon and I realized we had just spent all of our anniversary "fund" on an ER co-pay, and our romantic dinner turned out to be overpriced vending machine snacks that we devoured when we realized we were getting shaky from lack of nutrition.



I couldn't help it, but I cried on the way home because sometimes this seems so unfair! I'm still quite angry over the whole thing. I'm not imagining this....EVERY TIME we try to plan something special together it ends up being ruined...and I'm sick of it! SICK. OF. IT! I'm about to give up! I know that we have to keep trying to plan special outings together, but I dread it now. I hate having this feeling that a dark cloud is hanging over us when we try to get away.



As I have said before..."this too shall pass"...and I really do believe that. However, I wouldn't mind a prayer or two. Our actual anniversary is tomorrow (the 29th) & I'm going to try my best to just enjoy the day. I won't let this get me down for long...but today is probably not my best day mentally.



*Chandler was probably the least of us that was traumatized by this event. He kinda liked the extra attention. :-)


Getting all bandaged up.


Side one...

Side two....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brent wonders why I won't let Kylie around dogs!!!! I'm sorry you had a poopy anniversary :(

~Amy

Amber said...

Hi, Amy!

I'm starting to have mixed feelings about letting my kids be around dogs now too!! We will definately be much more picky about which animals the kids can play with now. The weirdest thing about this situation is that Chandler didn't even get a chance to pet the dog...it immediately bit him!

I think we are going to at least try dinner tonight...wish us luck!

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you Amy!

Amber, you forgot our bonus point: My last birthday when Maya bogarted her brand new bike and split her lip open! Ahh, don't you love distressed phone calls when you're trying to eat dinner away from the kids?

Amber said...

Ah, yes...how can we forget your birthday!

I think the moral of the story is..."don't let the kids move from the couch when we go out"! Seriously...if they go outside then it ends in disaster.

zibaby said...

Your anniversary isn't cursed. The time of year you got married will throughout all time be cursed. The end of January is the beginning of the worst of every winter and it is also when more people get sick than any other time of year. I'm sure it's a scientific fact. Too bad for you. Ha!
Sorry it was so bad. Me and Z-boy will come over and watch the kids so you can go on a date (as soon as he is through being sick!)

Sometimes I don't get dressed for the day until 5:00...pm, and on the weekend I let my kids eat cookies for breakfast. I drank coffee (and sometimes diet coke) when I was pregnant. I use under eye concealer to cover up my zits & I bake when I'm stressed. If you can deal with all that....then welcome to our family blog!