Wednesday, January 02, 2008

New Year's Resolutions.

I have to admit that I don't really like to make New Year's resolutions because it just seems like the sort of thing you do to set yourself up for failure. You make a "resolution" and then you tell everyone about it & then you....try to keep it up for a month or two. Then what? Then.....you usually hope no one remembers what you said your resolution was & you give up on said resolution that has become nothing more than that annoying monkey on your back. End of story. Rinse. Wash. Repeat every year. Right?

Well, this year I AM making a New Year's resolution & I think I can keep it :-). I have decided to keep doing what I love...an do it with excellence! You see, I really decided to do this a long time ago, I just never thought of it as a "resolution". In the last 18 months I have made big changes in my life, some of which were pretty hard (even painful at times). I did those things because I wanted to see big changes in my life. I was so tired of doing the "same old things" which resulted in the "same old outcome". I knew I had something better inside of me & I went searching for it.

In many ways I'm still very much searching for the "better" part of me. I still stumble and fall & I get irritated with my lack of self-control at times. However, I have to say the last year has been a very "reflective" one for me & I feel a little more "clear" starting this new year. I feel very clear about what I want. I feel very sure of what my goals are. I feel very optimistic that I will be able to reach many of those goals & succeed at doing them with excellence.

Just to be clear....NO, this years resolution does not solely pertain to running! I love that I took up the sport of running, but to say that my life revolves around that would be entirely inaccurate & altogether untrue. I do LOVE running, and I see that change in my life something of a change turned into habit. I think I'll enjoy running for many years to come, so I've moved on to looking at improving other areas of my life and turning those new changes into habits as well. What running did for me was show me that with enough hard work you can accomplish more than you think!
********************************************

Now.....if you must hear me make one of those New Year's resolutions, here goes.................

I resolve to NEVER have this sort of laundry situation happen in my house....EVER again!
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

Did I mention that my family generates 12 loads of laundry a WEEK! I'd say my family is making a HUGE "footprint" on this planet with the amount of water we are using to wash our freaking clothes. Geez....wear it twice people...if it passes the "sniff" test Hang. It. Up. That's all I have to say about that.


Oh, and while I'm at it...I'll never drink another one of these...


or eat another one of these. Nope! NEVER again!


Happy New Year!











And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen.

I Peter 5-10-11

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Amber! You're inspiring. You're a strong woman!

How funny that we both posted on laundry!!

God is going to bless you and your family this new year. May it be a prosperous one in every area!

Anonymous said...

I love that you KNOW what your goals are for this year!! I am taking the next 10 days to try to figure that out. Maybe you can help me to narrow it down and figure it out.

OMG!!! The laundry....it's great. I am there with you!! How do our families dirty up that much stuff.

Really...are you giving up diet coke...really??

Amber said...

Suz-
Seriously...have you ever known me to give up soda? I may have the will to do lots of things, but I'm a slave to the coke industry that's for sure :-(.

I wouldn't think to much of me "knowing" what my goals are for this year. Basically I'm just going to focus on getting out of debt, doing yoga more often (my new favorite workout), and teaching myself to cook new things. Oh, and I want to plant an herb garden! If I find a new Church, or hit a PR for my marathon time that will just be icing on the cake!

Anonymous said...

Those sound like great goals! See, you could just rattle them off here. You do have it together...

I would look at you and go..."uuuuhhhh....hmmmmm....well, let's see....nnnnooooo..."

Anonymous said...

Amber- I was getting a little worried when you showed the photo of ONE of my favorite cookies! I would really have a hard time giving up "cookies" !! The laundry....that looks like the piles that Tiffany had of only HER Clothes! You know 18 years old...2-3 outfits per day! And a marathon PR -that will be great! And I hope you are able to find that new Church too. You will do great in 2008 ! You push yourself and have a great family support as well. I hope that you find all of the things you are looking for!
Jodi

Amber said...

Jodi-
I couldn't even give up cookies for one day...I tried and it didn't work out!

Seriously....Tiffany has that much laundry? Well, at least she can do it herself! Even though my mother-in-law made her small children do their own laundry, I'm not ready to hand the tide scoop over to McKenna and Chandler just yet :-0!

Are YOU ready to PR next Sunday? I don't know about me. but you are very prepared for this one :-).

Anonymous said...

Yes..Tiffany does her own laundry, but even at the age of 18 she still washes her delicates with towels! And those darn dorm washer and dryers just ruin clothes! :-0 I am ready to have a GREAT time in Florida. Not sure I will PR...but I think that all three of us will do great and we SHOULD all PR ! I need a massage though..My neck and shoulder blades have been killing me for a good week now. Very frustrating. Anyway... we will have a great time in Florida.. the weather is now high of 73 with TStorms. MUGGY! But maybe not so hot.
Jodi

Sometimes I don't get dressed for the day until 5:00...pm, and on the weekend I let my kids eat cookies for breakfast. I drank coffee (and sometimes diet coke) when I was pregnant. I use under eye concealer to cover up my zits & I bake when I'm stressed. If you can deal with all that....then welcome to our family blog!