Thursday, August 31, 2006

Reason #101 why buying a FORD is not a good idea!

The pictures pretty much tell the story :-(.

Last night at about 9:30 I made a run to the grocery store, while our friend Jenny stayed at home with the sleeping kiddos. I got my groceries, loaded them up, started the truck & then went to put it in reverse, when.....SNAP! The gear shift snapped & rotated, therefore refusing to let me budge it past neutral. NICE!

Here I was in a "not so nice" part of town, with a car full of groceries, stranded in the parking lot with a truck that won't shift. By this time it was almost 10:30 p.m. & I didn't have a lot of options of people to call to come and rescue me. I had to call my hubby, (who was out of town on a business trip) and ask him what to do next.

Thankfully, Jonathan was able to get a hold of a family friend who came to my rescue @ 11:00 p.m. Dave (my rescuer) couldn't figure out what the problem was either, so we just loaded up my groceries and headed home. But not before I had one last little freak out moment! I couldn't get my key out of the ignition because of the gear shift being stuck! Yep, I had to leave my truck in the Hy-Vee parking lot (in the ghetto) with the key IN the ignition!! I locked the doors and said a little prayer. I also ran back into the store to tell the night manager at the grocery store what was going on (they don't like you leaving your cars parked in the parking lot all night). Thankfully, she knows me pretty well (I usually do my grocery shopping between the hours of 10:00 p.m & 1:00 a.m) & she said she would try to keep an eye on my truck.

So....my wonderful hubby - aka: "knight in shining armor" - left Nebraska at 4:00 a.m this morning, so that he could get home in time for me to take the kids to school. Today was McKenna FIRST day of school & I REALLY didn't want her to have to miss it because of this. After we got the kids off to school, we went to our friendly "City Name Transmission" shop (400 yards from the parking lot where my broken down truck was resting), and made the necessary preparation to have the STUPID thing towed.

So, for those of you wondering... 57,000 miles is about all it takes for a piece of crap FORD to start falling apart! Geez, my trusty little Toyota has 180,000 miles and has NEVER, EVER, EVER been "in the shop". That's right folks, I've never had a single "repair" of any sort on my corolla. Now, that's my kind of car! I'll NEVER buy domestic ever again!


F -found


O-on


R -road

D -DEAD!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That BITES!!! You are such a good story teller even as you told your crazy/wild story I was giggling because...only you. You make me smile, Amber!! Not that I'm smiling at your situation but...you.--michaela

Amber said...

Yes...yes it does bite!

I guess it could have been worse. I could have been somewhere with all three kids when this happened!! THAT would have worse! I'm just glad it happened at night while they were all sleeping. I was able to think and act more clearly-LOL! I'm really just more ticked that this happened to the "family" vehicle. Why? Oh, why??

You should have seen the five of us sardined in the tiny little corolla tonight! It was one of those moments where I was kicking myself for not having the camera with me. Jonathan was crammed behind the steering wheel, with his knees bent as far as they could go. He looked like he was driving a go-cart in Branson!! I laughed so hard I cried!

zibaby said...

I'm laughing at the thought of the 5 of you crammed in the corolla like a circus car full of clowns!

Tricia

Anonymous said...

Oh Amber! What a nightmare. I HATE car problems. You make me all the more thankful that we keep buying "foreign". I know, I know. . I'm so un-American. I guess whenever American made cars start having the quality and reliability that the others do, then I will buy them. We did our stint with the domestic ones and your story here was mine over and over!!!

Hope you get it fixed soon!

Amber said...

I'll be "un-American" any day when it comes to car buying. By the way...I never wanted a Ford-LOL! I REALLY wanted an Honda Odyssey, but there is a reason why I didn't get my wish...$$$$$!! Aparently, those darn foreign car manufactures know they have good stuff & I have to PAY for it :-(. Sigh!

Sometimes I don't get dressed for the day until 5:00...pm, and on the weekend I let my kids eat cookies for breakfast. I drank coffee (and sometimes diet coke) when I was pregnant. I use under eye concealer to cover up my zits & I bake when I'm stressed. If you can deal with all that....then welcome to our family blog!