Monday, July 03, 2006

That was then...

The day Chandler Isaiah was born was truly a turning point in my life. For the first time I think I knew what it felt like to feel helpless, afraid, and completely dependent on God's timing in my life. I didn't expect to give birth a month early, and nothing was ready. Not the house (the nursery was not done), not the cars (1 tiny corolla for the whole family), not even ME! I was miserable through my entire pregnancy, and spent most of the time either sick or just plain worn out from caring for McKenna. McKenna was only 10 months old when I got pregnant with Chandler and my body never really got to recover from the first baby before I moved on to the next one. To top things off Jonathan got laid off from Sprint a couple of weeks before I found out I was pregnant! Talk about bad timing!!


But, God had a plan...and it was a good one. You see, I'm a planner. I like to know "what's next". I like to put things into nice little "boxes" and tie them up with pretty bows. Everything about McKenna's birth and babyhood was just how I thought it would be. I didn't have a lot of surprises (outside of my record setting 2 hour birth experience) & things were how I thought they should be. I quit working and Jonathan had a pretty good job, so we didn't have a lot of worries.

Then, along came surprise #1...another baby!! What!! I didn't plan that! THEN, surprise #2...no job! I felt this "time of testing" in our lives, and I resisted it with all my strength. Then, the day of Chandler's birth came. It was not when it should be, and things did not go as planned. I was a complete mess! Chandler had some breathing troubles as soon as he was born (you can see how blue he was in the pictures), and spent his first 5 days of life in the NICU...not in my arms. The first night I spent in the hospital without my baby by my side was rough. The second night was worse. But, the third night I broke! My heart broke, my will broke, and I found something that I will never forget...God's grace. He met me right there in the middle of the night, in a pile of tears, and he gave the most incredible peace I've ever known. Things in my life were not going as I had planned, but they were going according to God's plan.

That night was my turning point. I felt this maturing of myself and my faith happen that night. I was finally quiet enough to hear God's still small voice speaking to me. Then, an amazing thing happened...the phone rang at 2:00 a.m.! It was the nurse who was taking care of Chandler in the NICU. She said Chandler had just done pretty well on room air, so I could come hold him for the first time since his birth! I had no longer cried out to God and asked for something, anything, to help me cope & then he placed this in my lap! I RAN down the hall and into the nursery as fast as my feet could carry me. As I sat holding my son I prayed over him & God did something else...something I didn't experience with McKenna, He gave me a "word" for Chandler. Literally a WORD flashed across my mind while I was holding my son. One word. That's it! I knew it was from the Lord because I was not looking for anything at the time...it just came to me. (*I hope no one thinks I'm getting too weird at this point). I'll keep that one word to myself, because I think it was really only for me to know as his mother. It's been a powerful word to me, one that rings in my ears every so often and reminds me of God's plan for my life.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
* So, that was then. That was how the blessing of Chandler Isaiah came to be. I firmly believe in my heart that nothing about how, and when, Chandler entered the picture was a mistake. I certainly didn't plan it, I didn't know how to cope with the circumstances surrounding his arrival, and I didn't expect to receive a "visit" from God either, but God is good! Since that day I can see God's hand in my life more readily, and appreciate that when things are not going my way, they are going according to God's plan...and there I find my peace :-).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."
-Proverbs 16:9

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a very sweet post! Chandler is such a little blessing to us all. I enjoy watching him grow and change everyday. I enjoy watching you interract with him as only a mommy can.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post, Amber!

Amber said...

Aww, thanks Jules :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow. I have tears in my eyes and goose bumps all over. Amazing.

Happy Belated Birthday to you and Chandler. :)

Amber said...

Hi Rhea!
I always love "seeing" you on my blog.

Anonymous said...

I love reading it. :)You are a wonderful writer. Have you ever thought of writing a book?

Rhea

Amber said...

Wow, Rhea! That was the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me! I've never thought of myself as a "writer" before. In fact, one of the reasons why I put off starting my own blog was because I didn't think I could write about anything interesting & I was self-conscious about my lack of good grammar-LOL!

Faith said...

Hey Amber,
Wow, what a touching post! I love reading about your life . . . as well as peeking in on how Karen and Julie are doing . . . it is so good to see how God has blessed you all! :)

Amber said...

Hi Faith!
Thanks for posting! I love that several of my friends have blogs now. It makes it so easy to keep up on what's going on in everyone's life. Did you know that Tricia is due with her first baby in a couple of weeks? She has a blog if you want to check it out...
http://thezionfile.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Well, *I* think you are a terrific writer. :) Maybe someday you can write about your experiences with Chandler.
I'd buy your book!

Rhea

Amber said...

Well, I've never even thought of writing a book. I guess if I survive raising Channy then I might have a reason to write one-LOL!

Sometimes I don't get dressed for the day until 5:00...pm, and on the weekend I let my kids eat cookies for breakfast. I drank coffee (and sometimes diet coke) when I was pregnant. I use under eye concealer to cover up my zits & I bake when I'm stressed. If you can deal with all that....then welcome to our family blog!