Tuesday, June 24, 2008

In need of some ideas.

I'm in need of some fun/creative ideas of things to do with the kids. Channy's summer school is coming to an end next week, and we have already done swim lessons, so now I need to think of a few more things for us to do in July. Just fun stuff...nothing too complicated! I'm not one who feels the the need to clutter up my calendar to ensure that my kids are never "bored" (horror!). I do expect my kids to be "self-entertained" much of the time, but I also like to get out there and play with them too :-).

I've always maintained that children should be allowed to be "children". For that exact reason I refuse to sign my 2 year old up for a soccer league or dance classes. I also refuse to shuttle the kids all over town for pointless "enrichment" crap (Translation: Classes that guilt parents into spending a bunch of money so that their kid will be "better, brighter, and more talented than everyone else") . So....I'm not really looking for those kinds of suggestions.

For starters, I need fun ideas for the Fourth of July. What did you do when you were a kid? I used to have this Family Fun magazine & it had some great 4th of July ideas & now I can't find it! We will buy some fireworks and go somewhere to shoot them off...but what else can we do? Are pools open? Hmmm........ Is it too late to try and get a campground spot? Maybe I'll torture myself this one time before I get too big to go camping-LOL! I guess there is always the "camping in the backyard" option :-).

So tell me, what kind of things do you like to do in the summer with your family? I know there are a lot of really creative people who read this blog, so leave a comment or drop me and e-mail. Help a momma out!

Signed,
Going crazy at home!

4 comments:

Faith said...

You are a woman after my own heart! I could quote your entire blog, for sure!

I have no ideas, as we spend the summer at the pool and if we go somewhere it will probably be camping. Other than KC, of course! ;-)

Amber said...

Ha! Thanks! All of the sudden I'm stuck on ideas of what to do for plain old fun!

Jonathan has also been looking forward to the 4th of July for like 6 months because: a) It's on a Friday, and b) For the first time in our entire marriage he has a job where he will get time off! Soooo, I need to get my creative juices flowing!

I wish the pool was a little easier for me to do alone, but I still need an extra hand if I have all 3 kids with me :-(. Camping is always an option.....maybe I'll research some fun campgrounds that are close by. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Amber ! Well... fun things to do on the 4th of July. We always just swam at my moms and shot off fireworks. Or went Camping at Smithville lake. The one thing about that is they have a huge fireworks display and the campgrounds usually fill up fast. Well the good spots anyway. We ususally would go a few days early and pick out and pay ahead for our "Perfect" spot. I am a huge fan of camping! Just love it! If we didn't go camping we would hang out at my moms, make homemade Ice Cream... play some wiffle ball...do daytime fireworks...then eat...and eat...swim..and wait for it to get dark to shoot of the nighttime ones! Other than that..we don't do anything. Other fun things to do....well... I don't know. Go to the Park... have a craft day at home...
I know you will come up with something very exciting! Oh I know... do you have a clothes line? When we were kids we used to build a fort out of blankets over the clothes line and have lunch in the "tent" or "fort" and play barbies. Not that Chandler would like to play Barbies...but building a tent out of blankets was always a hightlight for us!
GOOD LUCK !
Jodi

Amber said...

Jodi-
I would LOVE to just swim and shoot off fireworks! That sounds like my kind of 4th! But.....we are a little short on relatives with a pool(who live in the country)-ha! However, I'm shooting for something as close to that as I can get. I think we will try to go to a public pool during the day, then in the late afternoon we will probably head over to my parents house for BBQ and fireworks. Their neighborhood had a really nice display last year & we found a great spot to watch it from.

Jonathan thought I was crazy for wanting to go camping in July...when I'm pregnant. I told him he's just not adventurous ;-).

Sometimes I don't get dressed for the day until 5:00...pm, and on the weekend I let my kids eat cookies for breakfast. I drank coffee (and sometimes diet coke) when I was pregnant. I use under eye concealer to cover up my zits & I bake when I'm stressed. If you can deal with all that....then welcome to our family blog!