Thursday, June 07, 2007

A Season Of Change!

After watching my husband work a crazy 24/7, 365, INSANE work schedule for the past 3 years....it's finally OVER! Jonathan GOT A NEW JOB!

For those of you who have been close to our family over the past couple of years, you know how HUGE this news is to our family. Jonathan has always worked over 40 hours at his job, but he never got paid any over-time. He managed an entire hotel (the IT stuff) by himself, and never had anyone who could help him out. It made our life SO stressful, because we felt like life was always on hold. He could hardly work a second job, because he was always on call at his first job. He worked holidays, weekends, and in the middle of the night! Whenever that cell phone rang...he was back to work! There was no such thing as a vacation either! He was even called into work the day our third child was born....nothing was sacred. Not to mention the two trips to the ER for health-related stress problems. I was beginning to think this job was going to kill my husband.

I tried to be patient and supportive through all of this, because I really didn't have any other choice. It was awful to see the kind of stress that he was under, and even worse when I saw that he was never really appreciated. It's so hard to see someone you love make huge sacrifices & then not get anything in return. It's heartbreaking!

However, God did see! How quickly I forget that God sees everything! Back when I wrote about "El Roi" (the God Who Sees), you can bet I was also thinking of my husband & his work situation. However, it's amazing to me, even stunning, how quickly I FORGET! It's seems like we had prayed SO LONG for Jonathan to find new work, that we started to forget that God's timing is not always our timing. We had several ups & downs in the job search, and I began to "not get my hopes up"...not even when things looked good. I have to admit that I stayed quite "numb" through this recent job inquiry, even when it looked "good", because I didn't want to feel any more disappointment.

Now, for the good news...

Jonathan will be working for a bank! A BANK (*although THE bank will remain nameless for now)! 10 Federal Holiday's a year...PLUS 15 vacation days (what are those?). Since the beginning of our marriage Jonathan has never, I repeat, NEVER had this sort of luxury! It's almost too much to process. I wanted to cry tonight when my neighbor said "now you can be a family!". He's right!! Jon will only be on call once every 5 weeks, and the kicker...HE WILL BE PAID OVERTIME when he is on-call! We haven't been familiar with that term since the good old SPRINT era ;-).

There are some things I will miss about the Hotel though. Jonathan did work with some great people, and I will miss getting to see them & be connected with their lives. There is always a bit of sadness when you have to move on, and I will always remember the good things about his Sheraton job. Like the $49 hotel rooms anywhere in the US, our awesome $420 King-size Sheraton "Sweet Sleeper" bed, and the free food :-)

I'm positive that God placed Jonathan at the hotel for a reason. I'm also certain that He has a plan to use that time in our lives to learn and grow us for bigger and better things ahead. So as not to sound "unthankful", I want to praise God for sustaining us over the last few years. I am thankful that my husband had a job, and worked so hard to support our family. God really is good...all the time.

If you read all of this, give yourself a pat on the back. This was really cathartic to be able to "vent" and let go of this tension I've had bottled up. I think I'm just now letting myself believe that I may get to have my husband back in my life now. I'm still in some state of disbelief, but I'll get there....I'll get there.

Praise be to God!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMber,
That is so awesome ! I am so happy for you and Jonathon!! SOOO HAPPY !! I hope that this new job finds much happiness for your family and mostly that Jonathon enjoys it !! Thanks for sharing with all of us !! BUT....on the other hand...where is the new haircut photo?? And...why are you up at 1:15am and 12:00am writing on your blog?? Shouldn't you be asleep so that you will be rested when taking care of your 3 children!! You truly are WONDER WOMAN !!
Jodi

Anonymous said...

Yippee!!!!!! I am sooo excited for you guys! I'm excited to see the stress lifted off Jon - and YOU. What a wonderful thing.

Praise God from whom ALL Blessings flow!

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord!!! I'm crying...oh goodness I must really like you guys!!-mic

Faith said...

God is so good! I am very excited for you.

PS: No pressure, but we are dying to see your new hair cut! :-)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, where are the new haircut pics???!!!!

Amber said...

Ok....OK! I'll have my sister take some pictures today-LOL! Although, I'm being told it's not that much different (sigh). It's just a big deal to me I guess. It's basically just 8 inches shorter-hehe :-)

*Thank you all for being so excited for Jonathan & I. I think this is going to be the start of a good year, even if we do have several changes happening all at once.

Anonymous said...

Well, happy for your family.....but I'm NOT happy for us Sheraton folks!!!!!

Amber said...

Thank you, everyone!

Jodi-
I post so late at night because that is usually the only time I have to myself. When you're raising triplets (that's what it feels like most of the time) you don't get many breaks during the day. I'm also not a person that requires a TON of sleep, so I get A LOT done after 10:00 pm!

Amy- I'm really going to miss you and Brent! In fact, I'm going to miss a lot of Sheraton folks. It's not the people... it's the job...and the Nextel beeping ALL THE TIME... and freaking HSI! I hate HSI & I don't even know what it is-LOL!

*Jonathan offered to stay on the Sheraton payroll and help out from time to time if they need it. Who knows, maybe you will still see him every so often :-)

**Did everyone notice the "haircut" post? I know it's not a lot different, just shorter (for me).

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it! Amber, can you send me some emails with all our kids name, birthdays, etc.? Are they already in high school? It's all such a blur...

Hello new job!!!!

Amber said...

I'm on it.......

*Don't forget...you have 3 kids now! I know that third one kinda snuck up on you while you were being called into work non-stop. We should have named Maya "HSI" so that it would be easy for you to remember. How could you ever forget HSI?

Anonymous said...

I am soooooooooooo happy for you guys! Isn't it awesome how life can change so quickly with just one phone call? Or one interview. . . Praise the Lord!!!!!

Amber said...

Yes, it is amazing! One week you don't know how things will ever change (or IF they will ever change), and the next week you are starting a whole new chapter of your life!

Sometimes I don't get dressed for the day until 5:00...pm, and on the weekend I let my kids eat cookies for breakfast. I drank coffee (and sometimes diet coke) when I was pregnant. I use under eye concealer to cover up my zits & I bake when I'm stressed. If you can deal with all that....then welcome to our family blog!