Monday, December 11, 2006

I SURVIVED!!

Yep, I'm still alive after my 22 mile training run this past Saturday!! Actually, I'm doing great! I'm hardly even sore today & my knees are.....well, there about as good as they are going to get-LOL! I've decided that I can't get through this whole marathon experience without any knee pain, so I'll take what "relief" I can get. Overall, I'm feeling much more confident in my ability to actually pull this whole marathon thing off now (I wasn't so sure a few weeks ago).
*************************************************************************************
Saturday morning was far from ideal in terms of good running conditions, but I knew that in advance, so I just went with the flow. It was about 25 degrees when we started running, but my three "dri-fit" layers were keeping me warm enough. There was still some ice and snow on the trails, so a good part of the run was stop-n-go as we worked our way around the icy patches and over frozen bridges. At times it was comical as we clung to the sides of bridges to keep from falling on our butts.

Somewhere around mile 3 I decided that I wanted to shed one of my insulating jacket layers because I was getting a little warm already. THAT was a big mistake as I would learn just a mile or two later. Once we hit our uphill stretch on Nall up to 135th the wind was so strong that it was ripping right through my little fleece & I remembered why I loved that "wind-stopper" jacket so much. I think that is the coldest I have been on any of my runs & running INTO the wind only made the situation worse! Thankfully the uphill-running-into-the-wind stretch wasn't that long & I was reunited with my jacket around mile 9 (I had left it in someones car at a water stop). Lesson learned...tie my jacket around my waist next time (just in case).

There really isn't much more "drama" to share about this weekends run. This was by far one of my best long training runs yet, and I'm not even too sore today. So, there you go-LOL! Less drama, less pain....I think this might be as close as I'm going to get to being a "real runner"-LOL! I won't tell you how long it took me to run those 22 miles, because I don't think that's as important as the fact that I actually FINISHED them! That's the real success story in my book-LOL!

I said I would have pictures of this training run...but sadly I do not. Once again I brought my camera with me & forgot to go back to my car to get it when we were done. It's always so dark when we start running that I tell myself "I'll take pictures once the sun comes up" and then I totally forget to do that! Maybe it's just my subconscious avoiding having to post pictures of what I really look like at 5:30 am! I assure you, it's not a lovely picture!

*Oh, and I also want to thank my mentor Jodi for sticking by my side the whole way & talking me through those 22 miles. It's so much nicer to have someone to run with :-)

Here are the answers to everyone's favorite questions:
-"How do you keep your face warm...do your feet ever get cold?" *VASELINE! you put it all over your feet, face, and even your hands if you want. It really helps keep your feet warm and protected. And, "yes" your feet, hands, and face DO get cold sometimes, but it's not as bad as you would think.

-"So, how long is your marathon" *MY marathon is the same distance as everyone else's...26.2 miles. (this is by far the funniest question I get).

-"How long is it going to take you to run those 26.2 miles"
*Good question! I'll let you know after January 7th!

-"Do you think you will ever do another marathon?"
*I'd LOVE to, but I'm not so sure Jonathan would love it if I told him I was going to do another one!

-"How many miles do you run every week?"
*You might be surprised to hear that our training schedule is very light during the week. We typically only run between 6-9 miles during the week. You cross train on your non-running days. Then, Saturday's are the longer training runs. Cross training actually takes more time & effort then the actually running during the week.

**I just want everyone to know that if you've ever wanted to do something like this, it's very do-able. Even with three little kids and a very busy schedule! I hope that by the end of this whole "journey" I can inspire one other person to do this as well. It's been a very rewarding experience, and even very healing in some ways. I would love it if I got to do this again some day with one of my friends (wink, wink).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yayyyyyy!!!!!!!! You did it! I am so glad to hear your running is going well!! I'm glad to hear some good news.

Amber said...

I'm glad I have good news to share! I was beginning to wonder there for a little bit.

Only 8 miles this Saturday....whew!

Anonymous said...

Amber, I thought of you this week. I pulled out my treadmill and walked for a whole 30 minutes on it. 1/2 way into it I thought "I'm gonna run. I am gonna run and like it!". I DID! I did it for a whole 40 seconds. . .then I pooped out and went back to walking.

No, I could never do a marathon.

Amber said...

Well, if it makes you feel any better I feel like I want to quit 40 seconds into EVERY run! I'm not kidding! The first three miles are always the most difficult for me. When I start running EVERYTHING on me hurts & I want to give up right then and there!

At the gym I have to put a magazine over treadmill display so that I can't see my time or distance clicking away second by second. It's a mental thing, but I have a really hard time finishing my run if I have to stare at that dumb display!

Don't you remember me telling you when I started this whole thing that my first six miles I could only run for a minute at a time-LOL! That was the longest six miles of my entire life!!

Sometimes I don't get dressed for the day until 5:00...pm, and on the weekend I let my kids eat cookies for breakfast. I drank coffee (and sometimes diet coke) when I was pregnant. I use under eye concealer to cover up my zits & I bake when I'm stressed. If you can deal with all that....then welcome to our family blog!