Sunday, September 24, 2006

14 freakin' miles!

That's how far I ran/walked today. I was supposed to run 12 miles, but one wrong turn on *the trails* & I instantly added 2 extra miles to my route. I didn't even think I would be able to do all 12 miles because of my recent knee problems, but once I got out there I was feeling OK. I walked the first 6 miles & then I tested out my knee by doing a "baby jog" off and on for a few miles. It certainly wasn't pain-free, but I was able to actually run without a limp, so I took that as a positive sign that things are looking up.

Once I took the wrong turn on my trail, I high-tailed it back to the last water stop where my teammates were waiting for me (wondering what in the world had happened to me). As I was running at full speed (because I was freaking out about being lost in the middle of nowhere) it occurred to me that I was feeling pretty good! It only took me 10 miles to "warm up". I certainly hope my warm up time decreases as these long runs approach. I also learned about a product called "Bio-freeze" today. It's kinda like "Ben-gay" only better. I tried some bio-freeze at the 6 mile water stop & it really helped me during the second half of the run. For those of you who are interested, I am up to 20+ miles a week right now. Not bad for an out-of-shape-mama!!!

This weekends Marathon Training Lessons:
-Bio-freeze = Good!
-Being "directionally challenged" = Bad!
-14 miles isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.
-Ibuprofen and an ice baths are my best friends right now.
-Running 14 miles in the rain really sucks!!
-So does getting up at 4:30 am on a Saturday morning (to go run in the rain).
-I still need to find a way to get a gym membership...fast!
-Knee problems are NO FUN!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like I am standing on the side lines cheering you on. Go Amber! Go Amber!!! Woohoo!!

Anonymous said...

Hey friend-

I am way jealous of your running ability...it takes me like a year to walk a mile(even before I was pregnant). You are a rock star!! See you Tuesday...I need my Amber fix for the week.--michaela

Amber said...

Thank you, Julie! I can feel the love :-).

Amber said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amber said...

Hey Michaela!
Long time no see (that's my fault!)-LOL! Don't be too jealous of my "abilities"....it took me 3 hours and fifteen minutes to complete those 14 miles-LOL! There was another group that was running 22 miles that day and they were COMPLETING all 22 of their miles by the time I was coming in from my 14 (some had been done for quite a while)!! I'm as slow as molasses on a frozen pond! My body is also in a state of protest against this sort of physical exertion, I can feel it saying "what the heck do you think you're doing Lady....come on!". EVERYTHING on me hurts most of the time now & I given in to this being a "fact of life" for the next few months. I just wish my knees didn't want to rebel SO much! Sometimes I wake up in the morning and wonder how in the world I'm going to be able to take care of my three wild little children (thank God for PBS and strong coffee!).

However, it not about how fast I am (although, I DO have to finish my marathon in under 7 hours or I'll be kicked off the course-LOL), it's more about the cause and my new found discipline. I hope this dedication transfers to other areas of my life once I'm through with the next 3.5 months of training. I KNOW that anyone can do what I am doing if they really wanted to. Believe me, it has nothing to do with being physically fit (that I am NOT), and everything to do with your state of mind. I just tell myself every week "You WILL do this"....and somehow I do???

Sometimes I don't get dressed for the day until 5:00...pm, and on the weekend I let my kids eat cookies for breakfast. I drank coffee (and sometimes diet coke) when I was pregnant. I use under eye concealer to cover up my zits & I bake when I'm stressed. If you can deal with all that....then welcome to our family blog!