Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The things you never anticipate.

Back in 1996 when I was just 17 years old I had a huge crush on a cute 22 year old guy. At the time all I could think about was how much I loved being around him. I didn't think he would ever be "into" me seeing as our age difference at the time made the possibility of us ever getting together seem pretty slim. However, as you well know, we DID get together! When I found myself falling in love with Jon there were a few things I knew for sure that I loved about this man: 1) I LOVED the way he made me laugh, 2) I LOVED his bright blue eyes, 3) I LOVED his honesty & his passion for being "real" with everyone, 4) I LOVED his musical talent! I thought it was the sexiest thing in the whole world when he would sing and play his guitar for me, 5) I LOVED how he made me feel special ever time we were together. Those were the things that made me say "YES" that beautiful autumn afternoon when he purposed to me. However, what I didn't know back then was that the things that I initially fell in love with would eventually take a back seat to the reason I am still in love with this man today! :-)

Sometimes the most beautiful moments in life are the ones you never anticipate. I'll never forget the first time I saw Jonathan hold our first little newborn. I expected him to be stiff and unsure of how to handle our wee little one, but my heart melted when I woke up in my hospital bed to find my husband snuggling his little baby in the rocking chair like it was second nature to him. I sure never expected to see him dive right into fatherhood like he had been doing this his whole life, but that's just what he did! He has always been a "hands on" daddy, and from day one he was changing diapers & feeding and burping babies like nobody's business! Sure, there were lots of things that he asked me to "teach" him, but he has never tried to get out of any of the grunt work of raising our kids.Talk about sexy! Once Jonathan became a father it was like I had discovered a whole new level of love for him. Once we had kids he went from being my friend and lover to my true "companion".

I'm sure to a lot of people it seems like Jonathan don't have a whole lot in common since our interests are about as different as can be. I'm fairly sure I'll NEVER play any sort of musical instrument (other than the radio!), and I'd be willing to place bets on the highly UN-likely possibility of Jon ever running a marathon with me. But, those are just the little things in life that we admire about each other. I stand in awe of his talents, and he has told me on many occasions how proud he is of my running achievements...but those things are not the glue that bonds us. If we had to rely on what we have in common we'd have been done for a long time ago. Nope,  if I'd have to say what the #1 thing is that keeps us interested in each other I'd say it's the way we continue find new things to love about each other. 14+ years ago I had a crush on a boy with pretty blue eyes, awesome guitar talent, and a cute butt! Today I'm madly in love with a sweet guy that still has awesome guitar skills and a cute butt...but what I'm really in love with is the way he still tells me I'm beautiful every single day (yes, even after 4 babies he still tells me this!), and the way he LOVES our 4 babies more than life itself! 10+ years ago when we said our wedding vows I had NO IDEA that I'd be so in love with Jonathan for the reasons I am today, but isn't that the best part of surprises?

Happy Father's Day Jonathan! Love you!!

2 comments:

Faith said...

Sweet! :)

Elisa Seaba said...

what a sweet post!

Sometimes I don't get dressed for the day until 5:00...pm, and on the weekend I let my kids eat cookies for breakfast. I drank coffee (and sometimes diet coke) when I was pregnant. I use under eye concealer to cover up my zits & I bake when I'm stressed. If you can deal with all that....then welcome to our family blog!