Wednesday, March 18, 2009

St. Patty's Day!

Around our house we do St. Patty's Day in a BIG way! I think the reason I like this little holiday so much is because it's about the only "holiday" where no one expects anything of me. As selfish as that sounds, it's true. As a mommy of 4 small kids it gets tiring to have extended family expect certain things of me during more popular holiday's. I love letting St. Patrick's day be a special time for just my family where we get to do whatever we want. I started making a big deal out of St. Patrick's day a few years ago & I hope it's a fun tradition we get to continue for years to come!

This year we went to the St. Patrick's Day parade downtown & that evening I fixed our favorite Irish meal! Jon couldn't take any time off work, so he didn't get to do the parade with us :-( . However, my Dad is still laid off so my parents came with my sister and I to help out with the kiddies. I think everyone had a great time!











6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun day! I love all the photos. I like your black and white with the green splashes! Very cool. Who's little hand is that with the green polish? Is that Maya?

Evely had her nails painted green for the day too. She kept saying "it's for Patrick Day. If I don't wear green, he will come and pinch me!" So cute.

Amber said...

Hey, Karen!
The color accent photos are just a fun little tool on my camera...I think your Cannon should have it too. I had to mess around a bunch with the color contrast, but I figured it out eventually (go to color accent menu). The lady sitting next to us at the parade said "you must scrapbook" when she saw me taking 1,000 photos! I said "oh, no....I just have a blog" :-).

Those are Maya's little hands. I painted McKenna, Maya, and my MOM'S nails bright neon green! My mom wanted to kill me when I didn't paint my own nails green. I was going to, but I ran out of time. I just told her she was the coolest g-ma at the parade! Not many 62 year old women will sport green nails for St. Patty's...it was all for her grandkids though- hehe!

Anonymous said...

On a trip to Branson one time, I actually took my Canon manual and read the entire thing. (I'm a freak). I played with that tool for quite a while but I totally forgot it was on there! I'll have to play with it again. Julian's birthday is this weeekend. Maybe I'll do it then.

I love the green nails. I'm sure you Momma looked extra festive with hers!

Amber said...

YOU READ THE MANUAL?!?! Wow! See, I'm stupid and I just press buttons and screw stuff up! I end up getting really frustrated & and giving up. Drives Jon BATTY! He's the anal one & reads the ENTIRE instruction manual on everything. He keeps throwing the camera manual at me and telling me to read it when I whine about not being able to figure out why 1/2 my pictures end up blurry. My brain does not process info that way...it has a "written information deficit". I just have to do it to figure it out.

Happy Birthday, Julian! Oh, my gosh....He's gonna be 10!!!!

Amber said...

Wait...no....it's 9! I forgot he was born AFTER we got married!

Anonymous said...

...you said "anal."

Sometimes I don't get dressed for the day until 5:00...pm, and on the weekend I let my kids eat cookies for breakfast. I drank coffee (and sometimes diet coke) when I was pregnant. I use under eye concealer to cover up my zits & I bake when I'm stressed. If you can deal with all that....then welcome to our family blog!