Monday, April 23, 2007

A time to grieve...

Lately it seems like everywhere I turn I am crossing paths with hurting people. It seems that this seems to be a "season of grief" for so many around me. This past Friday one of my friends lost her mother too early, and very unexpectedly. Also in the same week my family received some very bad news about a close family friend that is dying of cancer (also too young to be leaving us), and only has a few weeks to live. Not to mention that last week started with the Virginia Tech shootings. So much unbelievable hurt & loss all in the same week....it got thinking and praying.

In times like these the one thing that I've learned NOT to do is question the goodness of God. Why? Because I believe that God is good. Without God...goodness would not exist. These people we love and cherish would not be "good" if God was not good. If God was not love, then love would cease to exist. So, who am I to challenge the goodness of God? Without God & His infinite wisdom and power I would not know such love. Am I making any sense?

I know there is not going to be an answer that I can comprehend with my human mind to all of the "why?" questions out there. In times like these I've learned to just pray for peace...for hope...for comfort. My heart just aches for all of the hurt and loss that burdens those who I love and care about. No...it just doesn't seem fair. However, I know that God is just...and one day we will have the answers to all the "why questions". Since those answers won't come this side of heaven I'll continue to pray for peace right now.

"On this mountain the LORD Almighty will prepare a feast of rich food for all peoples, a banquet of aged wines. On this mountain he will destroy the shroud that enfolds all peoples, the sheet that covers all nations; he will swallow up death forever. The Sovereign Lord will wipe away the tears from all faces; he will remove the disgrace of his people from all the earth. The LORD has spoken."
-Isaiah 25:6-8

"You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you. Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD the LORD, is the rock eternal."
-Isaiah 26:3-4

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amber, such good thoughts!! I know in watching my Mom go through her fight with cancer she remains steadfast in "God is good - all the time!"

It is so comforting to know that no matter what circumstances overwhelm our minds, God is still good and in control. That He will make good on every promise that he gives.

Amber said...

Amen, Karen! :-)

I have gone through times where I ask "why", but I guess I've just come to the point in my life where I have to admit that I may never know the answer to all the "why" questions. I have made peace with that fact & been able to move past it now. I've had to give God room to be God & understand that I don't need to have all the answers in order for Him to still be good....He just IS good!

Sometimes I don't get dressed for the day until 5:00...pm, and on the weekend I let my kids eat cookies for breakfast. I drank coffee (and sometimes diet coke) when I was pregnant. I use under eye concealer to cover up my zits & I bake when I'm stressed. If you can deal with all that....then welcome to our family blog!