Tuesday, April 17, 2007

I GIVE UP!!!!

I mentioned in my anniversary post the strange phenomenon that happens to Jon and I every time we try to plan a weekend "getaway" (all hell breaks loose!), yet for some reason I tried once again to test fate. I had planned for some time to run the St. Louis half-marathon with a group of running friends from TNT. For some unknown reason I thought "Hey, maybe THIS could be a good opportunity for Jonathan and I to get a weekend away...just the two of us". Sounds like a good plan, eh? SO, the plans were made. The hotel was booked (a beautiful Sheraton just a few blocks from the start line), plans were made with friends, and we even scheduled a late-checkout time at the hotel to give us extra time to stay and enjoy the city after I was done running. The plan was "perfect".

Let me share with you how the trip started out.....

Susan and Theresa had these cute blue shirts made for everyone that said: "St. Louis or bust!"


We just couldn't resist!


I have no idea what this bronzed bunny is supposed to be doing????


Now, does this look like the face of someone who is about to barf their brains out in about 7 hours?

So, now you can probably guess the end of the story....

After spending a lot of time, money, and a TREMENDOUS effort planning a great weekend getaway, we got to spend about two hours of "fun time" together before I woke up at 2:30 a.m. sick as a dog! I spent the majority of my time in St. Louis on the bathroom floor of our hotel puking non-stop. Finally, after throwing up every little sip of water I swallowed, I made the decision to QUIT drinking anything and just drag my butt to the car for the torture ride home.

Folks, I cannot remember another time in my whole life where I was in such agony! My poor hubby drove as fast as he could to get us home, and by the time we made home I was begging him to take me ANYWHERE to get help! Like any good husband would do he drove me straight to an ER where I finally got some relief! My diagnosis....a horrid sinus infection, coupled with a "fun" bladder infection, topped off with what we could only assume was either food poisoning or the stomach flu! How's that for a slap in the face?



It's like God was trying to tell me something...no? Because, Lord knows I'm stubborn enough to run a half-marathon with a sinus infection AND a bladder infection. It was the whole "puking-until-I-cried-for-mercy" thing that put the final nail in the coffin I think. Now, if I could only get an answer to why my husband and I can't catch a break. That one will remain one of life's greatest mysteries.....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy Cow!! I've said it before and I'll say it again...ONLY YOU!!! Are you okay? That hospital picture of you looks...miserable. Is there anything I can do? Really- I'm a phone call away and a super quick car ride! I hope you feel better soon and I will be praying for you!~michaela

Faith said...

Oooooh no Amber! That is awful! Okay, here is an idea, next time . . . STAY HOME (and send the kids away!) I am so sorry, it had such good potential. Just tell yourself that someday you will look back on this and laugh (or not).

Anonymous said...

Okay, those highstepping rabbit pics are really funny! Love the one of Jon :)

Amber, I really think that you need some people to do some heavy warfare for you guys next trip. I truly believe that the enemy of our souls would love nothing better than to destroy the time we have to build our marriages.

We went through that for quite awhile, but I sort of put my foot down and just saying "NO!". I start praying for protection over my kids health, me and Tom's health, safety and all that beforehand. I know you already know all this - look how well your trip to Florida went after all the time praying. (Of course you and Jon weren't together either!)
Hmmmm.

Anyway, I will be praying for you guys and that you get some quality alone time together very soon!!!!

Anonymous said...

Amber, I totallly agree with Karen. Next time you guys plan a date or time away you send out a mass e-mail and make some phone calls and you get everyone praying prays of protection. We should all be praying you guys get a second chance again ASAP!

I'm really sorry. . . Don't be afraid to try again. Next time we'll hit our knees on your behalf.

Amber said...

Hi girls!
Thanks for the sympathy :-) I think it was a bit therapeutic to at least do this blog post & admit that my life really sucks at times. I'm really bummed (and quite frankly depressed) over the whole St. Louis fiasco, but what can you do? I want to catch a break at some point, but it just doesn't seem to happen for us.

I may try having everyone pray next time we "dare" to venture out...but that will be a LONG time coming. St. Louis was sort of a "last one for a long time" sort of thing. We are out of money, time, and resources to even try to plan another do-over. It's been months since we've been on a real date, and it will be months more before we even try again. This is just the "working like a dog" chapter of our lives. I cling to the hope that the next chapter reads a little easier than this one.

Anonymous said...

James and I were there not that long ago but it does get better. We try to date a couple of times a month and it's so much easier the older the girls get. I thought I'd NEVER be done with diapers and there was a point that I thought I'd never have time alone with James again. Now diapers seem like some long lost thing. I can't believe it. It didn't feel at the time like it went quickly but looking back it did! James and I have a little more time together now. (Still not enough but MUCH better)

Hang in there. One day you'll wake up and look back and say, "Wow, I love this new stage of life! How the heck did I do that?"

Sometimes I don't get dressed for the day until 5:00...pm, and on the weekend I let my kids eat cookies for breakfast. I drank coffee (and sometimes diet coke) when I was pregnant. I use under eye concealer to cover up my zits & I bake when I'm stressed. If you can deal with all that....then welcome to our family blog!