Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Seriously.........Seriously!

Last week while I was rushing through Target looking for discounted pull-ups I saw something that still disturbs me...........








*Here we have the fashion pink raincoat AND hat-boots sold separately (because every dog just LOVES wearing a hat), the Leopard print velour hoodie (that was listed as an "essential" item), the chocolate brown "special occasion" evening gown (I'd like to know what "special occasion" one might have that they could possibly need such an item), the "DogGone" Dog music CD (music to calm your pets soul) & most importantly the inflatable air mattress for Rufus to take on those upcoming Spring camping trips!

COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I understand how someone could love their animal & even get a kick out of buying cute dog bowls and maybe even a sparkly collar (because those are things animals have to actually use), but I think this is way TOO much! It disturbs me that the Paris Hilton's of the world have now set a new "standard" for dog owners to try to meet...or even out-do. The fact that someone would spend $100 (or more) on a dog "tote", or even have a valid use for a dog stroller (yes, they have those too) makes me wonder where their priorities are?? We are "humanizing" our pets to the point that I think people are really starting to get some screwed up thinking. We think nothing of humanizing a dog... buying them clothes, toys, strollers, and even expensive designer dog beds, but "humanize" an unborn baby.......WAIT A STINKING MINUTE! No! We can't and won't go there!! Has our society hit a new "low"? What do you think?
*I know I sound a little "huffy" about this.....but I'm really not. It was just one of those moments that got me thinking...you know? It's not that I'm "mad" at people who find it entertaining to dress up their pets (I know that I could never personally go there...but to each their own), I honestly started laughing when I saw dogie "bling bling" as part of the dog accessories. However, when I walked away from Target that night I just got to thinking how sad it was that we are teaching people to put the needs of animals on the same level as that of our children. I guess that's what got me. I KNOW no puppy is EVER gonna be as important or treasured to me as my kids are. Maybe that's all I'm trying to say....
[*stepping down off soap box]

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

well said, Amber.

I know someone who throws a birthday party every year for their dog and invites other pooches over. They buy special ice cream that dogs can eat, have goody bags and of course the dog wears a party dress.

zibaby said...

I thought something similar when I saw Courtney Thorne-Smith on Rachael Ray this morning. She was telling the audience that she got married on New Year's Day and they had two friends in attendance at their wedding. The disturbing part was that she said the only "people" in their wedding party were their two dogs, Ed and Stewart, who were their "best men" and yes, they had them dressed in tuxedos and the only pictures Courtney had to show of her wedding were of her two dogs in their tuxedos, (okay, she also had ONE picture of her and her husband too!).

Anonymous said...

Before we had kids, I treated our dogs like our children. I had such a need to mother. It can actually be a bit theraputic for the maternal desire to nurture. However, spending money on pet dress up seems completely ridiculous to me. I think we are a country with too much money when department stores start carrying a line like this.

Amber said...

Karen-
Ah, yes, the "Dogie Birthday Bash"! Seriously, is that really even "normal" for human beings to go that overboard??? I mean, if you want to get together with your friends that bad then just invite them over, and leave the dogs out of it-LOL!

I guess I just have a bad attitude when it comes to dogs being treated as "human". They are DOGS for cryin' out loud! I really doubt that they enjoy being dressed up. Would YOU want to be dressed up like a dog all the time? I doubt it. So, why do we think dogs want to be put in clothing like humans? It's just stupid....In my opinion (for what that's worth).

Amber said...

Courtney, Courtney, Courtney......
I knew there was a valid reason why I never liked you on Melrose Place. Now I know why! LOL!

Amber said...

Jules-
I can see how it would be fun to "nurture" your pet & feel great love for them in that respect.

Before I had kids I was a MAJOR dog and cat lover! I would treat my animals like my "children" as well. In fact, we did have a dog (Phoebe) before the kids came along & it was quite different back then. We let Phoebe sleep in our room (not our bed), we talked to her like she was our child, we even bought her cute leopard collars, and special treats when we went grocery shopping. We even bought her a Christmas Gifts (dog bones)! I think that kind of stuff is very normal.

So, Yes, I can see your point....and I agree :-).

*Now, when someone goes clothes shopping for their PET at Old Navy....then I have a problem!

Joyce Collins said...

I am thinking you need to become a newspaper commentater!

Amber said...

Hee Hee. Thanks, Joyce!

Sometimes I don't get dressed for the day until 5:00...pm, and on the weekend I let my kids eat cookies for breakfast. I drank coffee (and sometimes diet coke) when I was pregnant. I use under eye concealer to cover up my zits & I bake when I'm stressed. If you can deal with all that....then welcome to our family blog!