Thursday, February 15, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day! (a little late)

Happy Valentines Day (a day late)! Hope you had a great day yesterday & got to enjoy your loved ones. We had a bit of a crazy day, but we still managed to have some fun too. McKenna and I made home made play-dough & McKenna made some fun "Valentines" for me and Jonathan.


How Cute is that! She did this all by herself, without any help from me :-)

This was Daddy's Valentine!
************************************************************************************
These Have been a Valentine "favorite" in our home for the past couple of years!
They are called "Swedish Cream Wafers" & they are YUMMY! They are not very easy to make, but the end result is worth the effort!




*Here is the recipe if you want to try them at your home.







Wafer:

1 Cup butter, softened

1/3 cup heavy whipping cream

2 cups sifted all-purpose flour

*1/3 cup granulated sugar for decoration

Cream:

1/4 cup butter, softened

3/4 cup sifted confectioners sugar

1 egg yolk

1 teaspoon vanilla

food coloring



Directions:

1. Combine the 1 cup butter, cream, and sifted flour. Mix well and chill for at least 1 hour.

2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

3. On a floured board, roll out 1/3 of the dough to 1/8 inch thick. Cut with 1 1/2 inch round (or heart!) cookie cutter. Transfer rounds to waxed paper heavily covered with sugar. Turn rounds so that both sides are coated with sugar. place rounds on ungreased baking sheets and prick each round with a fork about four times. Repeat with remaining dough.

4. Bake at 375 for 7-9 minutes. Let cookies cool then put together with filling.

5. To make filling: Blend the remaining 1/4 cup of butter, confectioners sugar, egg yolk (I do not use this because Chandler is allergic to eggs), and vanilla together. Tint with food coloring. *You may double the filling for a nicer looking cookie :-)




6. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What beautiful cookies! I might get brave and make them sometime. I am into super duper easy anything these days. If it's difficult at all I usually pass. I'm sure these were nothing compared to the wedding cake you just finished!!

Anonymous said...

You should try them. The dough is really simple to make (only three ingredients). The "hard" part is just the rolling out and cutting part (like sugar cookies). The kids go crazy for these! McKenna talks about making "heart cookies" all year long :-)

Sometimes I don't get dressed for the day until 5:00...pm, and on the weekend I let my kids eat cookies for breakfast. I drank coffee (and sometimes diet coke) when I was pregnant. I use under eye concealer to cover up my zits & I bake when I'm stressed. If you can deal with all that....then welcome to our family blog!