Friday, January 12, 2007

The "Marathon Story".

*WARNING....THIS IS A VERY LONG POST*

Last Thursday I arrived in Orlando after a LONG day of travel & officially started my "marathon weekend". As most of you know, no one from my family was able to come along with me so I had to have a roommate during my stay. I was really nervous about the roommate situation, because I knew it was going to be someone I didn't know & had probably never met. As it turns out, I had a very pleasant roommate that was very busy with her family most of the time we were there, so it was almost like I DID have a private room. The first few days were a little slower pace, so it was nice to have some "alone time" for the first time in.....oh, 5 years!! The down time was great, but I quickly found myself anxious to "get on with things". The three days of waiting for the marathon day to come seemed like the three longest days of my life!


But....I used my time wisely-LOL!




I won't bore you all to death with the "little" details anymore....I'll move on to the "main event" details now :-).





*************************************************************************************
*Finally, after three day's of waiting my alarm went off at 2:00 a.m Sunday morning! Yep....you read that right...2:00 AM! I quickly bounced out of bed with nervous anticipation. I had tossed and turned all night long & watched the hours click by until I drove myself nutty. I think I got maybe 1-2 hours of sleep....maybe. I had placed all of my race gear out with meticulous care the night before (because I'm a nerd), so there wasn't a whole lot to do to get ready.


My anal-retentive side comes to life!






We boarded the buses at 3:00 a.m & we were finally on our way to the marathon start line! WOOOHOO!

This is my mentor Jodi :-)

Jen and I waiting.....and waiting.....








Once we got to the start line area we got to wait...and then wait some more! We arrived at the "holding area" about 3:30 & they actually had a live band playing & I began to get REALLY excited at that point. So much so, that my "nervous bladder syndrome" kicked in about three times (yes, I was WELL hydrated). We went from one holding area to our final "coral" (another holding area) where we were lined up about a mile from the start line(just about LOL!)...and then we waited some more!

By this point I was sure all the waiting was going to KILL me! I can't explain the sweet relief I felt when the fireworks went off at 6:00 am & the race was FINALLY underway! At 6:07 my foot hit the start mat & I was officially running my first marathon! The music, fireworks, and spectators were amazing at the start! I wish I would have taken some pictures of that, but I was way too excited to remember to do that:-).


Up to this point I haven't said anything about the HUMIDITY...but as you can see it was as thick as a blanket that morning. NO...it was NOT raining (the lens on my camera just didn't like the humidity). We were all soaked with sweat within the first five minutes of our run. So much for looking cute at the beginning!

Jodi and I....about mile 6 or so.

The sea of runners....and endless fog! This was a "WOW" moment for me when I got a good idea of enormity of this race. We shut down the highway for a few hours!


Heading toward Cinderella's castle!

In the Magic Kingdom, getting ready to run through the castle! *That's me on the left...it's kinda hard to tell in this picture.

The best part of doing the Disney Marathon is getting your picture taken with the characters! My kids think I'm SOOO cool now :-)


That's my coach running next to me (left). This was about mile 14 & I was telling him that I felt like I was going to have a asthma attack! At this point the heat and humidity really started to get to me.

Mile 17 (or so). Animal Kingdom was a nice "break"...so many fun things to look at. The sun was up & I could finally breathe a little better! Donald was too cute in the safari outfit...so I HAD to snap a picture :-)

"The Gang"...getting close to mile 19 (I think).


After the mile 22 "refreshment stop" I heard MOVE IT...MOVE IT....MOVE IT...PICK THOSE FEET UP SOLDIER...and I knew this was a picture worthy moment (even though my mouth was full).

Mile 23 was my first big "victory" of the day because up to that point the longest training run I had completed was only 22 miles! Yay! Only 3.2 to go!!

Mile 24...like my hat?

**To view my finish line photos you will have to click on THIS link. *You will have to click on the "Walt Disney World Marathon" (January 7th) My Bib # was 9918 :-)

Jodi, Me, and Susan (Left to Right) at the Finish Line. Can you tell we are all just a little happy.


Getting my finisher's medal

YAY!!!!!!

* I wish I could accurately express what the finish line felt like....but anything I could write would seem to fall short of the emotion that I felt at that point in time. It wasn't just about finishing 26.2 miles....it was the completion of a journey for me. This was more than just about running a race and finishing. This race was very near and dear to my heart, because it was something I felt like I HAD to do. Why? I'm not sure I can really answer that question in a satisfactory way to most people. All I know is that I felt an enormous "pull" to do this marathon, and I'm sure glad I followed through with that desire.

The end result has been profound. I see myself a little differently now. I see a much stronger person than I thought was possible. I've discovered that it really is OK to do something for myself, even though the majority of my life is dedicated to serving other people (something I am honored to be able to do). It's made me believe in myself. It's made me confident in my ability to rise above difficult circumstances, and still find a way to succeed. It's made me see "setbacks" as just a temporary circumstance, not a life-sentence.

I wasn't in this to prove that I'm some sort of great athlete (I laugh at the thought of being called a "runner"...I still don't feel like I can call myself that). I didn't spend 5 months training and fundraising because I had "nothing better to do". No... it wasn't at all about the 26 miles. It was about believing that the finish line is really just a beginning.

* I want to add a special "Thank You" to my mentor Jodi, who told me EVERY WEEK that I could do it! She ran right next to me through every long training run & assured me that all my strange aches and pains were completely normal-LOL! She made the long runs seem "do-able" when I didn't think I could run another step. I really felt like part of a "team" because of her :-).

**The biggest "Thank You" of all I owe to my sweet hubby! He supported me all the way & even willingly volunteered to watch the kids EVERY SATURDAY for almost 5 months. This marathon was as much of a sacrifice for him as it was for me. He understood how much I wanted this & made it his mission to see this thing through with me. Now that's love!

25 comments:

zibaby said...

Your finish line photo is awesome!
tricis

Amber said...

I LOVE the finish line photos....they say it all :-)

Anonymous said...

Those finish line photos ARE great! What a wonderful accomplishment for you Amber!! I'm so proud of you and your endurance. You are truly an inspiration to me.

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Amber!! What a journey! The finish line photos brought tears to me eyes. You go girl!!

Amber said...

Hi, Rhea!
You are so sweet! This was a fun journey...one I hope I can do again! I never thought I would say that, but I really enjoyed everything about the marathon & I hope I can do another one some day. I'll never forget what it felt like to finish my first marathon though. I'm sure every finish is special in it's own way.

Thanks for "checking in" still. I was just over at BFN tonight & wondered how you were doing. I can't spend too much time over there these days because it gives me baby fever all over again. I don't think I'll ever talk Jon into #4....LOL!

*Oh, and Jon thinks it's important that I tell everybody that my time was 5 hours and 35 minutes (not 5:42)-LOL! I was 7 minutes BEHIND the start clock time (I started the race at 6:07). I laugh because 5:35 and 5:42 seem about the same to me...."slower than snot" is the same any way you look at it! I'm just happy that I finished :-)

Anonymous said...

I think 5 hours and 35 minutes is really AMAZING!!!

Amber said...

Thanks, Karen :-)

Anonymous said...

Honey, who watched the kids when you were gone? I was locked in the back room playing my guitar and thought they were with you.

Wait a minute, you were at Disney World? Where's my freaking Snow White lunchbox?

Anonymous said...

I loved the finish line pictures especially with the man in the pink tutu in the background. Totally laughed outloud. Sam saw your pictures and said "Mom I glad God answered our prayers for McKenna's mom...she looks like she's having lots of fun"

Amber said...

Sweetie-
I wondered why there was crushed up cereal, rotten juice cups & spoiled fruit under the kids beds! Poor babies!

Your Snow White lunchbox didn't make it past airport security because it was metal & had a "possible dangerous sharp edge". Neither did your "Sleeping Beauty-Shimmering Edible Body Glitter" (it was over 3 oz and not in a approved zip-top baggie). Maybe next time......

Amber said...

Michaela-
The "pink tutu/flying pig" guy was a crack up! He ran next to another guy dressed up as Minnie Mouse. They looked so miserable in their costumes, but they were hysterical to watch. At one point the "pink tutu" guy had to stop at a water stop and pour cold water under his flying pig hat & down his tutu to keep cool. The Minnie Mouse guy dipped his white gloves in cold water to sponge his neck with. What a hoot!

Anonymous said...

Amber - What a GREAT Blog. You were absolutely amazing ! That first marathon is definately one you will never ever forget! My job as mentor was so easy with you, Julia, and Jen. I could not have asked for a better group! Can't wait for the Next marathon!

Amber said...

Hi, Jodi!
Hmmm....I'm thinking California might be next. San Fran, anyone? You know NIKE is calling your name-LOL!

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! The finish line shots made my heart flutter!

Congrats! I am so proud of you. I'm glad you did this for yourself.

Hurray for Jon!!!!! What a great husband and daddy!!

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Amber! I am so proud of you. You go, girl!

Amber said...

Julie-
Thanks! For the first time in a LONG time I have to say I'm pretty proud of what I just did :-). It felt good to take care of myself after 5+ years of taking care of everybody else. I still love being a wife and mother (always will), but this whole experience reminded me that it's OK to wear several "hats" and enjoy them all-LOL!

Now, if I could just get some of my friends to try this crazy marathon thing with me....

Anyone?.......... I promise it really is fun :-)

Amber said...

Mary-
Hi there! Nice to "see you" around. Thanks for checking out my blog :-)

Anonymous said...

The half hour soaks in a tub of ice is enough to make me say, "No Way!" I can't even stand my water luke warm. I want to be lobster red when I come out of the bath!!! HEHEHE!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm...

Lobster...

Timothy said...

Congratulations again Amber, on your first marathon and your extensive blog about your experience. Just awesome. You'll never forget that first marathon, and you were very fortunate to have Jodi as a Mentor who I'm sure, added greatly to the positive aspects of your experience. Enjoy the feeling.

Amber said...

Thanks, Tim!
Disney will always have a special place in my heart that's for sure! I feel very blessed to have had Jodi as my mentor. She was awesome!

I'm not sure if I'll ever be brave enough to be a mentor. However, if I ever DO decide to go that route at least I know I had a great teacher.

*Thanks for being our "cheering section" along the way. It was so much fun to see you & Mary. I think you are the one who took the picture of Jodi and I at the top of this post (the one at 6 miles....or at least I think it was around mile 6).

Anonymous said...

California --- As in the San Diego Marathon?? With your dad maybe ? AWESOME !! NIKE -- Oh yes...it is calling my name...but maybe not until 2008 -- I think Chicago is calling my name in 2007 !! How about it?? :-) Chicago 2007 -- Nike 2008 ?? hhhmmmmm :-)

Amber - you were also very lucky to have met Tim and Mary ! What a great couple !! Great Cheerleaders and wonderful friends !!

Amber said...

Jodi-
Karl and Emily have me talked into NIKE for sure (I just don't know if I'll do it this year or 08')! I really want to do San Diego..... really bad!!! I just don't know if I can go right into another full-time training season in a few weeks. If I do San Diego I want it to be with TNT (not on my own)....so we will see.

I keep hearing great things about Chicago. I'll have to give that some thought......

Panda Defiance said...

Great report & Pics!

I was wondering if I can add your pictures to my website http://www.DisneyRunning.com. I will give you full credit.
Thanks,

Robert
Going for Goofy #3 in 08
Robert@DisneyRunning.com

Amber said...

Robert-
Sure- you can add my pictures to your site! Congrats on Goofy 2 years in a row! You "Goofy" people are crazy!

Sometimes I don't get dressed for the day until 5:00...pm, and on the weekend I let my kids eat cookies for breakfast. I drank coffee (and sometimes diet coke) when I was pregnant. I use under eye concealer to cover up my zits & I bake when I'm stressed. If you can deal with all that....then welcome to our family blog!