Monday, November 16, 2009

Sick Day/ Turkey Day....My thoughts on both!

I have a sick baby today. He is coughing & hacking, crying and clinging, dripping with green snot & utterly miserable! It's a sad sight to see. McKenna was sick for about 3 days last week & then she perked right up & skipped back to school just in time for the circus field trip. I love how McKenna is very rarely sick & when she is it's never for very long. That kid has the immune system of the gods I tell ya! Nothing gets her down....nothing! Sometimes I wonder if that's an advantage of being the oldest kid?? Then there is my boys.....the "wimpy White boys"....oh, they are a mess! Chandler is guaranteed to get pneumonia once a year & if there is a "bug" going around, he's gonna get it. Every. Time. (sigh). However, by some small miracle he is not sick just yet! Let's not say miracles never happen-mmmm-kay? He could make it through this plague unscathed.....he could. I just know it....or, I just really HOPE it ;-). Either way, I'm wishing with all my heart that we get all this sickness behind us in time for Thanksgiving.

Speaking of Thanksgiving, oh boy, am I ready to cook! I went to Sam's Club yesterday to get ready & let me tell you...I AM READY! I bought 4 lbs of butter, 6 bricks of cream cheese, a quart of heavy cream, a quart of half & half (because sometimes you have to go low fat...don't cha know!), 10 lbs of Yukon gold potatoes, 5 lbs of apples, 3 lbs of Ghiradelli chocolate chips, the 40 oz bag of walnuts, 2 lbs of cocoa, 5 lbs of sharp cheddar, and.......the 3 pack of sparkling ciders (my husband laughs at me for this one!). Can you tell I am mostly responsible for the desserts?

Every Thanksgiving I go over to my mom's house the night before and help her start the preparations. We brine the Turkey, fry bacon, make pies & jello salads, start the rolls, and the squash & beans get underway as well. Oh, I can already smell the glorious aromas!! I never thought I'd enjoy cooking this much, but the older I get the more I enjoy all the domestic-y parts of being a homemaker. I can honestly say I really enjoy the "work" that goes into fixing a big meal. There is just something so satisfying about serving your family a big meal that was planned and prepared by you for no other purpose than for everyone to find enjoyment in it! It's a thing of beauty!

If my clingy baby sleeps long enough today maybe I'll get to share one of my Thanksgiving recipes :-). Although, it's gonna be a tough choice between the twice baked sweet potatoes, or the caramel apple pie. We shall see ;-)

1 comment:

Mommas Soapbox said...

Twice baked sweet potatoes please! I love twice baked potatoes and I love sweet potatoes....so the combo...mmmmmmmmmmmm......

just popped a button on my pants thinking about it.....

Sometimes I don't get dressed for the day until 5:00...pm, and on the weekend I let my kids eat cookies for breakfast. I drank coffee (and sometimes diet coke) when I was pregnant. I use under eye concealer to cover up my zits & I bake when I'm stressed. If you can deal with all that....then welcome to our family blog!