Monday, September 24, 2007

It's the most wonderful time of the year...

....according to my husband-LOL!

Even though I'm more of a summertime kind of girl, I do enjoy many things about fall too. However, this past year I've especially enjoyed the fall because it is the start of "Marathon Training Season" for me!!! Yep...in case you didn't know, I'm doing it again! This summer I signed up for the Disney marathon, and I started "officially" training for it about 4 weeks ago.

This weekend was our first "long-ish" run (10 miles) and it was a beautiful day! The weather was just right, and we had lots of pretty scenery on the trails...complete with lots of wildlife! Tricia and I actually saw 4 deer on the trails :-). I always think that's so neat! There really is nothing like an early morning run in the fall...it's gorgeous! So, even though I will miss all the lazy summertime fun, I'm getting really excited about this fall (it's going to be a good one!).

*Now, for a little (OK...it's really not very "little") side note:

As I'm sure you are already aware, I'm doing this marathon with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's "Team In Training". I have really enjoyed my time in TNT, and even though the fundraising can be tough at times, I still love what I'm doing.

SOOOOOOOOOOO, please watch your mailbox in the next week or so...because chances are you will be getting a little "love note" from me asking for your support once again ;-). You can even check out my fundraising
web page to see my progress! I have a BIG fundraising goal this year, so I had to break down and beg for help from all my "peeps". So, if you do get one of these letters in the mail...consider yourself one of my "special friends" (doesn't that make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside).

I promise to make this year's "running journal" just as exciting as last year-LOL! You will get more "ice bath" pictures, more bead selling pictures, more boot block pictures, more "I can't believe what I am doing to myself" stories...it's going to be a fun training season! See what you have to look forward to :-0 (ohhh...ahhh!). Maybe for my first 10 donors, I'll put together a video montage of what I look like at 4:30 am on Saturday's, or even what I look like after my 22 mile training run...that would be a real "treat" wouldn't it?

Seriously, I really do appreciate everyone's support when I embark on these crazy little adventures! YOU guys are what made my first TNT marathon a huge success, and I DO appreciate all that you do for me! I truly am blessed to have such a fantastic group of friends and family.

OK...enough about the marathon....
****************************************

*If I can get myself organized, maybe I'll even find the time to post some great new fall recipes I've been trying out. I'm going to try a new soup tonight (chick pea with roasted red pepper), so if it's really yummy, I'll post the recipe later this week. How about you? What do you like to cook once the weather starts to turn toward fall?

At our house I start making:

-Pumpkin Pancakes
-Apple Crumb Pie
-My Famous "Burn Your Lips Off" Chili (With cheddar corn bread)
-Creamy Corn Chowder
-Roasted Rosemary Chicken with Vegetables
-Black Bean Soup with Cilantro
(to name a few)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm excited to live vicariously once more through your training, Amber! It really is fun to see you train and reach your goal - even with all your aches and pains and ice baths - no pain-no gain. . .right!!

You MUST post your creamy corn chowder recipe! That was yummy.

Amber said...

Thanks, Karen :-) "No pain-no gain" is right-hehe! So far I'm feeling pretty good, but that's because we haven't gotten into any of the "serious" miles yet. It's time for me to stock up on Advil and ice...because those days are coming very soon :-0.

If I get a few minutes this week, I'll try to post the corn "choup" (that's chowder/soup) recipe. I think that ones a keeper!

Anonymous said...

Definitely a keeper!

We saw the girl that ran the Chicago 1/2 marathon at church yesterday. She was complaining that she ran two of her toenails off and they were bothering her!!! OUCH!!. . .and that was only a 1/2.

Amber said...

YIKES! Poor girl! I have so many questions for her...do her shoes fit properly? Did she use anything on her feet? Does she wear toe socks? Of course, I'm no expert (by any stretch of the imagination), but I've spent a lot of time around "veteran" runners now that I feel like I know a few "tricks" to help me keep my toenails-LOL!

After my full marathon I only had one tiny blister & I lost 1/2 of a toenail about 5 months later. I thought I was going to lose 2, but I kept them all -LOL! I'm really hoping I can avoid any such "loss" this time around-he he :-)

*I'm making "Roasted Red Pepper and Chickpea" soup right now & it smells really good. I hope everyone like this new soup, because I think I'm going to love it! Jonathan pretty much HATES all soup, but I make him eat it with me every so often. To him, if there isn't meat on the table then it's not a full meal (roll eyes)...sigh....

I'll post the "Creamy Corn Choup" recipe soon!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I get the same response from Tom. He pretty much hates soup unless it's COLD outside. If it's soup on the table and not cold there is something wrong in his mind. I LOVE soup all year around and could live on it!

Anonymous said...

HI AMBER !!! MISS YOU! And have missed looking at your blog ! Fun times at the Apple Orchard! I love going there. I actually spent the weekend in Springfield with Tiffany... LOVED every minute of it. Even hanging out in "Wells-East Hall" !! I am excited to see your Corn Chowder Soup Recipe. I love soup...my husband is just like Jonathan. Hates soup...and it is not a meal without meat and potatoes! You are an amazing Runner and a great mentor ! Sorry I have been absent! I am so ready for the Chicago Marathon but can't wait to run with you again! I am sure you will sprint by me ! :-)
See you tonight!

Amber said...

Hi, Jodi!
I had so much fun getting to hang out with you and the girls tonight! I'll start woring on a Oct/Nov date for all of us soon.

I really wish I could do Chicago with you next week! Maybe next year....

I'll post that recipe soon...promise :-)

Sometimes I don't get dressed for the day until 5:00...pm, and on the weekend I let my kids eat cookies for breakfast. I drank coffee (and sometimes diet coke) when I was pregnant. I use under eye concealer to cover up my zits & I bake when I'm stressed. If you can deal with all that....then welcome to our family blog!