Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Race Day!

For better or worse, I've been at this running thing now for 3 years! I started off with very little ability and almost NO endurance & I've worked my way up to two full marathons, and a small handful of half marathons. I'm not fast, and I have absolutely nothing to prove...except for that which I prove to myself. For what it's worth, I think it's peculiar that a lot of people think you have to somehow be "good" to call yourself a runner. Well, I'm probably not "good" in the eyes of most athletes, but I'll tell you what I am.....determined!

If I thought I had to be "good" to continue this whole running fiasco I would have given up by now. Can I tell you something? I DO think I'm good....good at sticking to something-ha! I've got a thousand reasons to find a new hobby, but I've stuck with this running thing and slowly, very s-l-o-w-l-y it's paying off. After taking a substantial amount of time off after the birth of my fourth child I decided to throw myself full-tilt back into the running game & I tackled my first 1/2 marathon this past Saturday. I was determined to enter the game right where I left off, which meant I was chasing a 2:10 finish time in last weekends race. Sure, that not an impressive time, but it was my best half marathon finish time & I was darn proud of it! I told myself I HAD to be able to catch another 2:10...or better...no excuses! Well, I'm happy to report that I reached a new half marathon PR with a finish time of 2:07:38!! Mama's still got it!

But....you know what was even better??? BOTH of my sisters ran the KC half with me last Saturday too! How cool is that? After the race I had a little time to reflect on how awesome it is to be able share something I love so much with my whole family. The fact that I belong to such an awesome family was not lost on me that day...nope, not lost at all! At the end of the day THAT is what really matters!



Tiffany & Tricia....I love you more than you will ever know! Thanks for a great day!

No comments:

Sometimes I don't get dressed for the day until 5:00...pm, and on the weekend I let my kids eat cookies for breakfast. I drank coffee (and sometimes diet coke) when I was pregnant. I use under eye concealer to cover up my zits & I bake when I'm stressed. If you can deal with all that....then welcome to our family blog!